I thick my chicken is sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mahmod123, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Mahmod123

Mahmod123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2013
    My chicken keeps falling asleep it won't eat and it can only open one eye what should I do?

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How long has she been like this? Any discharge from eyes/nostrils? How is her poop? How old is she? Have you recently added any new flock members? Any crop issues? Any breathing difficulties? The more information you can give us,the better we can help.

3. Mahmod123

Nov 17, 2013
    I'm not sure how long she's been like this because I bought her a few days ago but she's been like this since I got her, she does not have any discharge from eyes or nostrils, her poop looks fine, I'm not sure how old she is but I think around 2-3 months, I have added 3 new members and she is one of them, and she has no breathing difficulties

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    She may have a coccidiosis overload. Cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,most birds have some cocci in their sml intestines,only becomes a problem if they have an overload/outbreak,then we use a coccidiostat to bring it back under control. Cocci is spread by droppings,which get into feed/water via droppings. Cocci can live in the soil for approx 4 years. Since she is new to your area this may be the problem,chickens do become immune to cocci,but to only the strains they have had prior exposure to.

Some symptoms of cocci are: runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 9-11 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly,weight loss. If symptoms match,purchase Corid(Amprolium) may also be called Amprol(depends where you live). Dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL chickens for 5-7 days,make sure medicated water is the only water they have to drink. Do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with the ability of the coccidiostat to work)give vitamins after treatment is complete. Cocci can kill very fast,but is easily controlled with a coccidiostat.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. Mahmod123

Nov 17, 2013
    But my chicken does not have watery poop

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If the poop looks 100% normal then it's probably not coccidiosis. Can you post a poop picture?

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    A sick bird needs to be inside where it's warm.

-Kathy

9. Mahmod123

Nov 17, 2013
    I don't know how to post a picture, can u post a picture using a iPad

10. Mahmod123

Nov 17, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by