I think 5 day old just tried to dust bathe??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrv19, Mar 13, 2016.

1. mrv19

mrv19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2016
    My 5 day old chicks have started what APPEARS to be trying to dust bath. They begin scratching back the surface of the pine shavings then belly down in and fluff themselves..then scratch again, etc. The same motion as dust bathing but theres no dust. Should i be providing them something this early?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

As long as they have a substrate to dig in, they will do fine. Many birds will begin to dustbathe at just a few days old. You don't need to provide any actual dust at this stage - pine shavings will do.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    x2, but you can give them some dirt if you'd like. My chicks have a dirt box in their brooder, its a cardboard box with a cut out so they can climb in and out, I fill it up with dirt from my yard. They get to dust themselves, pick through for grit and other hidden treasures and start building their immune systems. They love it :)

4. MESOFRUFFEH

MESOFRUFFEH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    Mine are starting to do the same thing... just got them wednesday.... I think I'm going to give them a dusting box today! They just enjoy it so much! The only place right now dry enough to have any dust at my place is under the house, and sure enough, the chickens found a way under there thru some little hole lol! They have been bathing up a storm since it's been so rainy. I will hear our little roo crowing from under the house and it cracks me up!

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Do give them a tub of sand or peat moss or ordinary soil to dirt bathe in. They really enjoy it and there's nothing quite as adorable as a tiny chick whirling its little feet around as they eagerly partake of this avian pleasure.

6. mrv19

mrv19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2016
    I think i will get them a container of dirt then!..less for their immediate need and more for my enjoyment. I didnt know if there was anything dangerous about it at this age?

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Absolutely not, unless your yard has been treated with insecticide/herbicides. They get: microbes and fungi to build their immune systems and gut flora, minerals, grit, little insects and seeds, first greens and first dust bath. I give my chicks a plug of sod, about the size of a pie plate, set it upside down right into the shavings and they go nuts over it. When they've shredded that one, they get a new one. I don't clean their shavings out, just keep adding more as needed. My chicks are brooded outside, so no dust issues inside.

8. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I never thought about giving my chicks that and i should have but i did occasionally add leaves. They moved outside at 7 weeks though. But at just a few weeks old they started bathing in the grit container lol

9. ftfarmer22

ftfarmer22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    My chicks began to dust bathe at 1.5 weeks old in pelleted bedding.

10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I toss a complete clump of sod from the garden into the brooder when they are just a couple days old. They avoid it like it was some kind of monster at first, then a brave one will go over and poke it to see if it moves. Then he'll peck it to see if it's edible. Then he'll scratch at it and break some dirt loose. From that moment on it's "Game ON!" and they all dive in. In no time they've demolished that monster into dirt, little bits of grit and they have a blast. What they don't know is that it's good for them! It not only gives those scratching, dust bathing and grit seeking instincts an outlet, but it also contains a lot of the stuff that they'll be exposed to when they are out in the yard, which helps them build immunity! Win, win!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by