I think A chick is sick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kmartinez, Jan 15, 2015.

1. kmartinez

kmartinez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    One of my chicks likes to sleep alot and i mean alot. yesterday it was up and running about but today when i came home from work it was sleeping. So i left it cooked dinner and when i went back it had not moved. So i went to touch it and and it didn't hop up and stand or run just lifted its head. I have not seen it eat or drink since i have been home. I even noticed that the chicks playing that are running about when they walk over it, it doesnt pop up. Just lets them run over her. So I put her in the corner closest to the water dish and dropped a few spots of feed in front of the chick. Its been 4 hours and the baby still in the same spot. If i pick her up and cup her in my hands she chirps. She can move her feet to but as soon as i put her down she stays in that spot..

Should I remove her from the box and baby her...not sure what to do all the other chicks are running about or if they are sleeping if u touch their rear end they stand straight up and run forward...

2. kmartinez

Jan 9, 2015
    Ohh and i checked her rear, she has no pasty but. Or anything i can see visually with her beak or rear end. She opens her eyes to. Hubby said maybe she ate to much....but IDK

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    The first thing that comes to my mind is if she is actually eating. And the chirping. I would make a mush from some feed and water and keep swiping it on her beak, or stand her in front of the bowl . If she's less that 7 days old, I would think that. Older? I would treat for coccidiosis. You can touch her crop and see if it's empty or not.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  4. kmartinez

Jan 9, 2015
    Yes she supposed to be less than 7 days old. They were mailed Monday I got them yesterday I am guessing just a couple days old..

5. kmartinez

Jan 9, 2015
    I am also feeding the medicated feed...I will go make a mush and do as u say...

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    There's been 3 times in 7 years that the crumbles were too big for the chicks and they weren't eating, but looked like they were, and they would chirp all the time because they were hungry. Now I always grind the crumbles up for the first 3 weeks. It really scared me. And there is nothing like wet mash to get an appetite going.

1 person likes this.
  7. kmartinez

Jan 9, 2015
    Awww I didnt know that with the crumbles I will do that...I went in and checked her again. She can no longer stand up at all she just plops back down. I I moistened her beak and made the mash and swiped it on, she not really opening her eyes anymore just when I bug the tar out of her. She seems uninterested in the mash :( Just laying there . she not even pulling her legs back under her so when i sit her down if her feet are out in front thats were they stay..Makes me so sad. She was only chirping like if i picked her up and cupped her she doesnt chirp unless i mess with her...

On the crumbles i guess i will pull my coffee grinder out and pulse them a few times

8. kmartinez

Jan 9, 2015
    I am torn whether to pull her out . cause my runt I left him cause he was really wobbly and looked bad off but as the day went on yesterday and today he running around fast and eating alot he even feel asleep in the food ..So I was thinking to leave her cause i dont want her getting cold...but they are walking on her sometimes

9. TheDarkLord098

TheDarkLord098 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    In a chicken coop xD
    Don't let others step on him/her, your chick will lose appetite and will become weaker as expected. You could check if it's full or not if the neck is big or somehow circle on the right or left. If it's hungry and it's not eating, it'll probably die. My grandpa fed his chick by getting an injection and putting water with sugar. Then he injects it on the mouth so that it can eat, and it was saved. What do you feed your chick? It might be really sick right now.

1 person likes this.
  10. kmartinez

Jan 9, 2015
    It was really limp. The poor baby died. I dripped water in its beak with a little dropper i had and did mash , managed to get some mash in there and she ate it but still the poor darling was so limp. I felt the crop it didnt seem empty. I feel so bad

I am giving them a medicated chick started by mannapro nothing else but water heat lamp is ranging according to my thermometer its 95 in one corner and 93 another, I was going to put grit in there but i read if they just on starter no grit is needed...

I guess i going to crush the starter up to make sure its small enough for them just in case....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by