I think Berry has an internal egg -how to clean her out?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hockeychick, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Hockeychick

Hockeychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Warren County, NJ
    Hi again. I have a 22 week old Red star, Berry, who has been laying Rubber eggs and acting lethargic. She is one of 42 birds. We had been feeding them Purina Flock Raiser, but just switched to Layena, and they have a separate container of oyster shell. She also gets to free range every evening, and all day on the weekends. We put Apple Cider Vinegar in their water as well. Berry has twice gotten lethargic this week, and both times I brought her inside for a few days. She seems to recover after laying the rubber egg. She is no longer lethargic, but I am keeping her in the house for now. I am giving her hard boiled egg yolk, with crushed egg shell, and yogurt. Layena and crushed tums too, for extra calcium.

Her poop is very wet, and I think that there is egg in it. I am afraid that she will end up with an infection. How do I safely get it all out? She laid a rubber egg yesterday, but attached to it was something that looked like a rubber egg shell, but it was empty. So that means that the inside of the egg is still in her.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She could have egg peritonitis. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to give her 3-4 days of strong dosage injectible penicillin to ward off the infection. Sometimes it works for awhile, but honestly sex link hens are very prone to this condition. I've lost many hatchery girls to that awful thing. Some I was able to keep going with the antibiotic treatment, so it's worth a try, but needs to be done ASAP. It may not permanently fix the issue; in fact, it most likely will recur.

3. Hockeychick

Hockeychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Warren County, NJ
    Thanks for your quick reply. I don't have penicillin, and I have never injected an antibiotic. I called Tractor supply, and they have the penicillin, but no needles. I am going to ask a few neighbors if they have anything because they have chickens too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by