I think chickens like sunflower seeds…..

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by max13077, Jul 12, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

A fellow BYC member gave me the idea of burying snacks for the chickens to find as a treat later on in the day. Well yesterday morning before I let them out of the coop, I buried a scoop of sunflower seeds in the pen just under the dirt, let them out, and went to work. We went out to dinner last night and got back after dark….. I went out this morning and it looks like a meteor crash landed in the pen!!! There’s a hole about 5 feet wide by 2 feet deep!!! I think they liked the seeds and were looking for some more!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I wonder how they originally fould them.. other than fresh dug up dirt

3. max13077

Mine are constantly scratching and digging. They were all there in the hole this morning looking arouns, probably wondering why the seeds aren't there again today..... They are kind of spoiled....[​IMG]

4. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    My chickens go nuts over the black oil sunflower seeds. They get some every evening when I clean their waterers, and feed them, if needed.

I have 4 smaller pens with show birds in them, and when I feed them the seeds, the other chickens will try to get in their pens. Even though I just threw them some. They are such pigs!!
    And if you have a dish in your hands with sunflower seeds, they will jump on the dish to get those seeds. Usually, everything ends up on the ground, which I think is their mission.

Anyway, gotta luv 'em!!! [​IMG]

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Well I guess that's fine if you dont mind a meteor blasted, bare dirt, soon-to-be-mud chicken yard.

6. max13077

Side hill+rocky soil=no mud [​IMG]

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Davaroo, so, so negative!!! Need a hug this morning??? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  8. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I love the idea, chickens are like dogs--if they want/need to dig you can NOT stop them.. Either you hide goodies for them or they will scratch until they find something good...

We have sand so it won't be a problem for me..

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine love them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by