1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think chicks are eating paper towels...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by susanah, Mar 26, 2009.

1. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Found a chunk out for first time today. They are 10 days old. Someone told me to use newspaper because the PT will hurt them. Seems like newspaper would be worse. Have pine shavings but I think my daughter is allergic to them. Any suggestions? Will eating Paper towels hurt them???

Thanks

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:You can change it to some straw (is she sensitive to that too) now, and they probably are eating them!! I am not sure it will hurt them, but I am sure it is not a balanced diet.

3. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    You can use shredded newspaper just not smooth as they can't get a grip on it.

4. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    what about sand? Or will this hurt them if they eat it?

5. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I've heard you can use sand, but I'm a first timer, never done it myself. Just doesn't seem like it would be very fluffy [​IMG]

6. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I've had chicks eat paper before, especially when they get a little older. I have sand in my brooder right now and it's working out great. I had pine shaving before and the odor was permeating my garage. Now I can't detect any odor with the sand. They scratch & peck in it happily.
    Sand should be good for them, since they need a little grit anyway.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    You can use sand sure, I did for about a year, no ill effects, until its time for you to sift the sand to remove the poo, then be sure to wear a mask.

I use strictly chick starter now. Sure, they poo in it, but then again, they poo in their feed when they are in there scratching around anyway. No one has died from anything and they scratch through to get the feed out anyway. I just use a dustpan to sweep the top layer of feed and poo away and then they are good to go. It does waste a little, but not that bad. I have been hatching for over a month and have just bought my second bag of chick starter as the bottom cage is about to run out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by