i think duck eggs are good starter eggs! :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Loretta212, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    this is my 3rd hatch. i used a hova bator 3 times to hatch chickens and it worked out well but chicken eggs are very sensitive to change. this time around i put together a homemade incubator and a friend of mine gave me some duck eggs. not only are they almost transparent with a flashlight (very awesome for candeling you can see so much growth!!) they are so forgiving of changes. I have 4 hatching right now and my temps were up and down from 95-103 until i figured out my incubator and my hummidity also went up and down for a while but they keep on growing. now if only they would hurry up and get out lol!

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Very cool. I'll definitely give duck eggs a try!! Good job on making a homemade incubator--I made one too--just needs a little persistence to work out the bugs and they work so well. GL with pip and zip!

3. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    [​IMG]

4. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    good to know, I have some sweedish i am plannig on breeding.

5. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    Ducklings are much messier than chicks. They will turn their waterer into a wading pool/pond. Duck poo smells much worse than chicken poo. They eat a great deal more, but of course they grow much faster. I think they are worth it though. Enjoy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by