I think Esther crowed... please provide peace of mind!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cnodgaard, Aug 1, 2010.

1. cnodgaard

cnodgaard In the Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Harrisburg
    A while back, I posted a photo of Esther, a splash Orpington, and asked if she was a he. Those who responded unanimously voted "she." However, today we heard what sounded like a hoarse kind of crow. I went out, but no more noise similar to what we heard the first time.

I'm reposting photos of my 3 (hopefully) girls: Esther Williams (splash Orpington), Molly (black Orpington), and Olivia (buff Orpinton) at around 13 weeks of age. Esther developed a comb and wattles very early. As you can see, Molly and Olivia are WAY behind in this aspect.

So.... once again... do you think that Esther might be a Chester????? I'm very worried because my girls are 1/2 leagal and 1/2 illegal (because the coop is against the fence) and I don't want to lose everyone!

Thanks everyone!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Chester!

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    [​IMG]
    Quote:I agree you should have been able to tell just by the difference from the other 2

4. Frankie Lee

Frankie Lee In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Oregon
    I agree with the others.... Esther is a Chester!!! I have a few surprise roosters also [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not Esther. Chester for sure. Have had several splash Orps.

6. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Songster

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    Wow! He is a great looking bird!

7. cnodgaard

cnodgaard In the Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Harrisburg
    Waa![​IMG] I thought that might be the case. I don't want to give him back to the person who sold me the chicks, because she just gives her roosters to some Amish guy down the road who eats them. I guess I don't care about the eating part, I just don't want (Ch)esther to be eaten by some Amish family. I am not fond of the Amish as they do not treat their animals well...

Anyway, I'm near Harrisburg, PA if you know any good homes.

Thanks!

Carol

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    It's def. Chester. I would put an ad on craigslist and put a small fee for him. I would say 8-10 dollars. I would pay that for a good Rooster. I would pay more if I really liked him.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chester Williams.

10. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Chester is very handsome. I am sure you will find someone to rehome him to [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by