I *think* I am a Welsummer?? What do you think?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kellykate, Jun 18, 2010.

1. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Ok this sweet chick came from MPC. It was a chipmunk colored chick and I narrowed it down to a Speckled Sussex, Brown Leghorn or Welsummer. I have to admit, I was crossing my fingers for a Welsummer and even named her Toby (short for Toblerone) in anticipation of chocolate-colored eggs! As luck would have it I *think* she is a Welsummer --but not sure?? Definitely not Speckled Sussex but still not sure about the Brown Leghorn. What do you think?? Thanks for your help![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. metraideanne

metraideanne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    She looks a lot like my easter eggers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Except the legs, my pullets have greenish-grey or grey legs.

3. kellykate

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    hmm she does look a lot like yours except she doesn't have muffs or greenish legs --thought she needed one of those to be an EE. but maybe not [​IMG]

4. Vedwards

Vedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yes she's a Welsummer. She looks just like mine.
    [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Looks just like my Welsummer(s).

I have a partridge colored EE as well, and while the markings are similar, the combs and legs are markedly different.

6. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    I can't tell in the pics, what color are her earlobes? I'm voting Welsummer if she has red earlobes and Brown Leghorn if she has white.

7. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks possibly like a brown leghorn. Are her earlobes red or white? My brown leghorns were IDENTICAL to my Wellies, except for the earlobes. Red = Welsummer. White = Leghorn.

Em

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  8. kellykate

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Yes, I have been watching her earlobes but they aren't really a color yet. Still just grayish --same as the other chicks. I know that will be the tell-tale sign! Hopefully within the next couple weeks!

9. grandmachicken

grandmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Williamson, GA
    Does she have to have yellow legs to be a Welsummer? I rescued one that came with 6 chipmunk chicks and she looks identical, but she has the grey-green legs.

10. spatino

spatino Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    Marysville
    She looks identical to our Welsummer Sally who passed away last week. So my vote is Wellie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by