I think i am done raising poultry and rabbits

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by poultrykeeper08, Jan 31, 2009.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Today has been another terrible day of winter here with my birds
    Today my male chiloe widgeon died and my female mandarin died and a modena pigeon died and 2 female muscoveys and to top it off my female blue muscovey i just bought for $40 dollars at the Poultry show 2 weeks ago dissapeared !!!

And i have lost at least 40 birds in the last 3 months and 4 rabbits .

They birds arent sick i just had them all tested 1 month ago . They always have food and water . They get bread ,lettuce,tomatoesand cheerios every day .

I got into birds becasue it seemed fun to do and i really liked animals . I knew it was a lot of responsibility but i was up for it and really enjoyed it at first . First 3 years actually . NOw it just seems like a hassle . Seems like something is telling me times up . If its not birds dieing its my water pipes are leaking or frozen even with heat coils , Or its a nieghbor complaining to the town for no reason .

I DOnt know if its just the cold getting to my birds or what but one of my barns is heated and the other barn had a good layer of hay down for them to go into and even with that the water freezes and ice grows on the cielings .

Does any one else ever just get fed up and want to get rid of thier birds ??

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    We all hate it when something happens to our animals. It really makes me stick to my stomach when one of my favorites dies or gets killed. I just tell myself to keep going.

3. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    Well yes actually. I had a bunch of hatching eggs and most died. Just a few sole survivors made it. It was depressing to say the least. I almost decided to never hatch eggs again but the little cuties I do have made it worth another attempt.

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Oh my goodness! I am soo sorry you are losing so many sweet critters! You know, it's been an especially cold and hard winter here, has it been that way in your neck of the woods? I'm sure you have been wracking your brain and checking everything for WHY they might be dying. I do hope you don't lose anymore.
    I had a really bad year w/my birds the last two years but so far this last year (2008-09) has been good. I was just about to give up but spring arrived w/ the prospect of new baby fuzzies and I just couldn't give up. I know it's hard but just hang in there. Spring is around the corner, sooner for some than others, but new life awaits, and maybe some new little ones for you. It helps.
    I DO hope you find your blue muscovy. Predator problem?

Can't seem to spell lose. It looks strange! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    It can be depressing, but just know that sometimes you can take steps that make things better. Sometimes it takes me weeks to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it.
    Keep your spirits up! If you want to stop that's fine too.

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Nothing seems to weed out the weak like the cold [​IMG] I have lost a few birds over the winter.... they were pretty much all at the beginning and they just weren't hardy enough apparently. No illness.... just keeled over after the first frost..... of course, they were small and or young...... but, everyone else is doing well and faring well considering they have no heat. I figure.... if they make it through this winter, they'll make it through any winter.

I know how you feel though.... some times it seems like a heavy burden with little in return... especially when they're all freeloading! LOL Some people may find that as wonderful as it can be, it may not be for them.... no harm in that. But, also... sometimes we just have to remain optimistic and do all we can to make it through even if we have some losses...... being winter doesn't help much... it can be depressing all on it's own, losses aside.

I'm sure you'll be feeling much better about things come Spring! Hang in there!

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]..aww! i'm sorry this is happening to you! [​IMG] that really sucks! you CANT quit...who's gonna be my BYC brother? [​IMG]

8. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG]

I'm so sorry winter is going badly for you. The animals are supposed to be a fun hobby, if you're not enjoying it anymore maybe you should rehome them and try something different. Maybe something indoors where you don't have the fight the winter weather, something like guinea pigs. Or you could just keep going until spring and summer and see if you feel the same way. Perhaps, on top of all the losses, you have the winter blues and will feel better when spring comes and you can enjoy your critters again. We all understand, we've all been there, but the decision is yours. [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sorry you had a bad day.

Hey, Move on down to AZ.

We've a bunch of people who moved here leave to go back home now that the economy stinks and rents and homes are at bargain basement prices!

It might be hotter than hades and sometimes we look half baked, but we love it here! Especially from November to April!!!

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    If you are sure the birds are not sick.

Then you need to prepare for winter. Know what breeds can take the colder temp, and give heat to the one that need it.

I raise peafowl, only keep the India because they do fine in our winters. Would love to raise Green Peafowl, but they can NOT take our winter. The cost to give them heat is to high. So no green peafowl for me.

Not to be mean, but people need to be prepare for winter for their birds. Not all breeds of chicken can take the northern winter.

Sorry you lost so many, and yes sometime I think about quiting. Going out in -20 degree to feed and break ice off gates,when you are not feeling good is no fun. I do really enjoy the birds most of the year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by