I think I blew it!

JenniferK

Songster
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Northern California
We had a broody hen again who sat for about a week and a half, and I thought instead of letting one hatch eggs this time, I would do the chick trick -- slip a few under her at night so she could be Instant Mom. Well when I cleaned up the hen house and got a separate area set up for her, it apparently irritated her enough that she decided not to be broody any more. In the meantime, the previously broody hen that hatched eggs last year decided to be broody again, so I thought, fine we'll give chicks to her. My kids chose two chicks and my friend who wanted more chickens took nine, and of course they all wanted to see this, so against my better judgement we introduced the chicks to her in the daytime. She seemed to tolerate them so we left them for the afternoon. In the evening I went out to check and two were under her where they had apparently crawled, and the rest were hanging far away from the hen in the corner. So I sat and watched for a while, and whenever one would come near her, which included trying to eat their food, she would peck them and they would run back to the corner and cower. So now all eleven are in my house and my question is, do I even try sneaking them in with her tonight or is it pointless? I don't know if it was too many, too soon, or she's just not falling for it...

It's always best to sneak them in at night when she should be trying to sleep. give her a day or so and try again at night this time

I'm bringing this up again because I think I'm going to try again tonight, and I am SCARED! I'll wait until after dark, but I'll also have to move the hen from the regular nesting boxes to the chick-safe area, so that's one more thing to disturb her. So should I go ahead with all 11 chicks? And do I need to go out and check throughout the night to make sure she's not killing them? Should I just wait until she's been broody a little longer, but the chicks are bigger? Any input would be appreciated!

Do you mean "no harm" literally or figuratively? I mean, the way she pecked them before I worry about them ending up dead.
sad.png

How long has she been broody? I think if she just went broody she isn't ready for chicks yet, since it takes weeks to hatch eggs out. I had two broody bantams last year and if I had let them they would each have killed each other's chicks. You may have to raise those chicks yourself just to keep them safe. Best wishes!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's part of the problem. We got them for another hen that had been broody for about two weeks, and she just decided not to be broody anymore, but this hen started only 4 or 5 days ago. I thought at least this is the one who hatched some eggs last year so she definitely knows how to be a mom, but maybe that little brain is doing some kind of math and knows it's not time yet.

I'd move her in the morning to the chick safe area, then tomorrow night try to slip the chicks in with her. That way, that's one less disturbance she'll have to deal with.

Good luck! And hey, if it doesn't work, at least the chicks can depend on you!

Back
Top Bottom