1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think i bought the wrong coop for Florida, help please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lizak92, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Lizak92

Lizak92 New Egg

Oct 11, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Soooo I bought this coop online when my chicks were 3 weeks old, they stayed in the house in the brooder until 6 weeks old they are now 7 weeks old and staying out in the coop full time, i let them out to run around but only when supervised, the main issue i am having is getting them to go up the ramp and into the roost area at night, i have put a light in there but they just stay below and make a bunch of noise when i check on them and i end up picking them up and putting them up myself i try to get them to use the ramp but i think it is too steep. I dont have a pic of the inside but it has a bottom that i can pull out to clean, i have pine shavings in there and it has 2 roost bars but only a few inches above the removable pan and 2 nesting boxes that i have shut off to them right now (something i read on this website) . I am thinking of taking out the glass and adding hardware wire and cutting some holes up by the roof line for more ventilation, its been about 75 here at night but there is no ventilation besides the hole at the end of the ramp. We are also going to build a run to add on so they have more room.

Does anyone else have this coop? I have 4 chicks 2 Giant black Jerseys and 2 Ameracuanas (7 weeks old now) I had read the reviews on this and all seemed good, my husband thinks i am babying them too much and they will figure out how to get up there but i cant take them screeching and being scared.

Also right now we just kind of move the coop when they tear up all the grass etc but it will be moved to a shaded permanent location soon, i have read about putting sand down and i think i will try that but is that OK for the upper roost area? right now i have shaved pine up there.

The GOOD news: my dog you can see in the reflection of the coop window has been so great with them (was a big worry) so at least thats not an issue! :)

Thanks so much for any advice, I am so attached to them already we call them the Golden Girls and are named Dorothy, Sophia, Blanche and Rose! So yes i guess i baby them but just want them to be happy and healthy!

Thanks again!

Liza

2. DKline

DKline New Egg

Nov 11, 2015
    My hens (rir) was about the same age when i opened the bottom of my coop for them I had to put several down at the bottom so they'd know it was available.. at first they all got down but just like yours couldn't go back up (which is where i would leave the food)! after like a day and a half i ended up putting some feed on the ramp so they'd understand they could go up it... It still took 2 of my hens about another day before they figured it out (i had to start feeding them on the bottom since i'm sure they were hungry) but all was well after 2-3 days

1 person likes this.
  3. Lizak92

Lizak92 New Egg

Oct 11, 2015
    Yeah i had read that too, i didn't shut them up there in the beginning and now have read maybe i should have done that but will try the food tonight, they love broccoli so maybe that will be the trick! thanks!

I just think i bought a crappy coop as well but i think we can modify it, so if anyone has any ideas on modifying my overpriced, tiny, crappy coop that would be much appreciated!

4. Sseckel

Sseckel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Homestead, IA
    I had that coop in southeartern Iowa. Rotted out in about 18 months along the bottom. looking back I would put a foundation under it. We had 3 hens back then (standard size) and by the time they were full grown it was too crowded, even though they had run of the yard. I think it would have been good for bantams though.

5. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    one thing you may be able to do, that wouldn't change the coop too much, would be to make a 2 stage ramp.

start at the front of the coop, near the door, then hang a left up to the door for the roost.

You for sure want them using the roost, because that looks like how they access the nesting boxes!!

6. Cheep N Peep

Cheep N Peep Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, here we go:

1) During the day, the chicks are having to much fun down below to want to attempt going back up. Then, when it gets dark they can't see very well anymore and settle down for the night where they are. Chicks aren't as good at watching out for night as older hens, and still feel safe under the coop. Try taping a cardboard barrier on the open air side of the ramp. When you open their door, they will have access only to the ramp, which really isn't that exiting. They will walk up and down it all day, looking for a way back to the fun grass and dirt. This might help them get the hang of the ramp. The problem may be that up in the coop is hot, however, and they don't like being up there.

2) The window replacement is a good idea. Use the same hardware cloth that is used on the 'run'. Cut a hole in under the roof overhang at the very peak of the coop for more ventilation. More will be necessary, so see if you can't cut a large opening in the back of the coop and cover it with hardware cloth as well. Sort of like a window. Use the cut out as a door to close this opening if you feel that it is necessary.

3) And most importantly: This 'coop' is way to small to hold a fully grown Jersey Giant, much less two and some EEs! This 'coop' is tiny, and should really not be sold. They do not last long, are thin and flimsy, and TINY! The most hens I would ever put in that coop is two standard, or three bantam. I'm sorry, but before you do anything to it you might want to call the company and see if you can return it. Get a playhouse off of Craigslist and convert it to your needs- this one is just to small. If you look up threads concerning coops like this one, you will see similar replies.

These 'coops' are cute and have a lot of great features. Unfortunately, they are not very functional. I'm not trying to be a party pooper here, but Jersey Giants are HUGE. Thus the name 'giant'. Four hens in that coop will cause all sorts of behavioral problems, and you will have to buy another one anyway not far down the road when this one rots away or wood peals or leaks... [​IMG] Sigh.

Good luck.

7. Lizak92

Lizak92 New Egg

Oct 11, 2015
    Thank you thank you thank you! As soon as i got it i knew it was too tiny but for now i am trying to make it work, for at least a couple more weeks, bad research on my part i wish i would have found this site before i bought it.

I took the stupid window out and covered with hardware wire today, i will do the same to the back tomorrow, very good idea.

as far as what you mentioned on using a kids play house i love that idea as they are cheap and what a great way to recycle, do you know of a link i can look up? i can surely research the web too but i always like to ask.

Thank you so much for all of the info and advise i will also be going on to do a TRUE review of this tiny thing and try to warn others!

Again thank you all and i will update soon!

8. yellowchicks

yellowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2014
    NJ
    My Coop
    Since you live in a warmer climate, I would try to convert this entire coop/run structure into one larger coop, then build a new run.

9. Cheep N Peep

Cheep N Peep Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so glad you aren't upset with what I said! I hate how manufacturers will tell you this coop could hold 4-6 hens.. no way! I mentioned the playhouse because that's what I started with, and I love it! We found a 4x4 playhouse for free on Craigslist, tore off the roof and one wall, and know have a walk-in, partly insulated 4x7 coop with a poop board and three nesting boxes. There are lots of videos on you tube of play house coops, and plenty of builds here on byc, too. Here are a couple links:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/ex-playhouse-coop https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-playhouse-coop https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-playhouse-coop https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/converted-playhouse https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-coop-from-a-playhouse

That enough links? Oh, and my coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/cheep-n-peeps-chicken-bomb-shelter

10. Lizak92

Lizak92 New Egg

Oct 11, 2015
    Hi Cheep!

Thanks so much! I did take out the window last night to ventilate and had a long talk with the hubby about making a "real" coop and run and he is on board, yours is awesome! i dont think ours will be that great to start but I cant thank you enough for all the info and advise! I will update with photos soon!

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by