I think I broke his leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tom NJ, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Tom NJ

Tom NJ Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    I have seven week old brown leghorns. They are outside in the coop and run. Due to there size, they were finding ways to get out of the run and were hiding under the coop, which is raised about a foot off the ground - the coop is actually part of a bigger shed. So, in an attempt to shoo them out from under the coop and get them back into the pen I believe I hurt my rooster. I was using the handle of a rake, sticking it under the coop and trying to move them toward the front of the shed. He now walks all crouched down and his left foot looks slightly disfigured. I feel bad for having hurt him, as he is the whole reason I bought the brown leghorns - I think they are the prettiest of roosters.

2. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Can you catch him and look at it? Maybe you whacked it and it bruised a little. Like when you hit your elbow or ankle on something. Hopefully he will walk it off. [​IMG]

3. Tom NJ

Jan 7, 2011
    Quote:I caught him and looked at it tonight. I noticed it yesterday; and, if it was due to the rake, it had happened the day before yesterday. I think it's more serious than a bruise. He hobbles and if he is making a run for it he will fall to his left and have to put his wing down to catch himself.

4. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    youve got to catch him and check. If it is broken or fractured it needs to be set, splint right away or it will heal incorrectly.

5. Tom NJ

Jan 7, 2011
    Quote:I looked at it and the foot appears to be disfigured. Other than that, I don't know what I am looking at or what a fractured chicken leg looks like, much less how to set it.

6. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Elaborate on what you mean by disfigured so we can help you a little more. Like his toes are curled or.........?

7. Tom NJ

Jan 7, 2011
    Quote:They were not curled. They were straight, almost as if he couldn't curl them. And, they didn't all stick out even distances apart.

8. Caliphe

Caliphe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Can you take a photograph of his leg so we can get a better idea of what's going on? Try and get a close up photograph of the leg as opposed to a distance shot.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If it is a broken leg, you will probably not be able to really set it, in the sense of putting it back exactly where it belongs so it heals normally. What he needs is to have the bone held still, so that it can knit together, even if it is not correctly, so it will be something solid. He night limp but he should be able to use it at least some. If you let it heal without setting, it can heal so that the bones stay separate. Just splint it without wrapping anything too tightly. Probably the easiest way is to wrap it with vet wrap a few times.

I used to know a man who had his arm broken as a child, halfway between elbow and wrist. It was never set or treated, and the lower half of his arm swung freely. He had little or no use of that hand, of course.

If the only injury is in the foot you may not need to do anything except separate him where he will rest and walk on it little or not at all. If something needs to be held still, like a toe, you may be able to do it with just a little tape and maybe a piece of lightweight cardboard.

Maybe others have other ideas that will help. Good luck.

10. Tom NJ

Jan 7, 2011
    Well I don't know that it is his leg necessarily. I went out there today and he was lying with one leg sticking out in front of him and one sticking out behind him - like he was doing a split. Perhaps it is his hips?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by