I think I cooked my eggs :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SaltyPaws, Jan 16, 2013.

1. SaltyPaws

SaltyPaws Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    I moved the thermostat probe while I was moving the eggs and the temp was at 106.4 in the hot spot and 104 in the cold spot. I'm not sure how long they were at these temps. Between 20-45 minutes I think. I cooled them down with cool water but I'm not holding out much hope.

:(

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    :(

:hugs

Just cross your fingers and candle in a few days. Don't give up until you are sure.

3. Gardengirl73

Gardengirl73 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's the egg's internal temp that's critical. I don't think that they would reach that in that amount of time. If you have a still air incubator also the temp is lower still at the grate level, mine is by 3 degrees. Definitely don't give up!

4. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    How far along are they? Eggs are remarkably resilient, especially as they get farther along and less sensitive to temperature. I'm not saying they LIKE it at 106, but if they were more than a week or two along, and it was only 25 minutes or so, I bet they're fine.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    For such a short time period, I wouldn't worry. Now if you had told us the eggs were at 104 for 6 hours, then I'd be offering my condolences.

6. SaltyPaws

Jan 6, 2013
    I set them on the 13th so they're still relatively early. I candled them this evening and saw light veining on the light colored ones.

What are signs that they have died other than oozing/weeping and smell?

7. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
  8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    If its a short period you should be ok as the others stated, its all in the internal temp! Good luck with your hatch!!

9. ZakoHero

ZakoHero Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2013
    Algeria
    Just cross your fingers and hope for the best.LOL!

10. SaltyPaws

Jan 6, 2013
    Thank you all so very much!

There are so many helpful people on here, I've learned so much just reading through the threads.

My daughter (4) is so excited to know that mommy didn't cook the baby chicks, so again, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by