I think I discovered the breed of my mystery pullet

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by madame Ivory, Jul 29, 2013.

1. madame Ivory

madame Ivory In the Brooder

May 14, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    Ok so since this was my first time ever going to pick up chicks (or owning chickens for that matter) I just named off a few breeds I wanted to the chicken guy and he placed them in my box I brought. I got one BR 1 B ORP 1 Silkie and 1 speckled sussex. Well on further research I discovered that no, my little sussex was indeed not a speckled sussex so the wait game began. Someone suggested maybe a light sussex? Seemed like it might be bc it's black and white. Well now a month down the line I'm like no that's not it so I scoured the internet until I came across a "Java" chicken. My girl Rex seems like she might be a Java. I'm thinking this is what she is, does anyone else have any other ideas? But whatever she is , she is sweet as can be and beautiful. Has anyone else ever run into this problem? Thanks everyone!!

[​IMG]
    Here she is. She's such a pretty little thing!!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] she sure is a beauty. Post her photo on "what gender or breed is this," and you probably will get a definite answer.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    looks like an ancona

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2, I know someone who has one identical to her

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that she is an Ancona.

6. angel8035

angel8035 Songster

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    Another option is exchequer leghorn. I think Anconas typically have more black.

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Quote:I thought of that but for her size an amount of feathering, I would have thought her comb would have been a little bit bigger. But you are right she could be a leghorn.

8. Nutcase

Nutcase Songster

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    That's right, I don't think she has enough black to be an Ancona. My best guess is Exchequer Leghorn. Either way she's a beautiful girl.

9. madame Ivory

madame Ivory In the Brooder

May 14, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    Thank you everyone! ! A lot of breeds I didn't know about! But whatever she is, she's sweet as pie!:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: