I think I figured it out...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WindDancer, Jan 31, 2011.

1. WindDancer

WindDancer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Farmer City, IL
    We have had 5 failed hatches THIS YEAR... At first, we had the humidity too high and they'd drown, then with this last batch of 25.. only ONE had any growth in it.. I am thinking that my roos are only breeding with one hen Grrrr [​IMG] Needless to say, that isnt helping us at all!! So I have seperated a roo and 2 hens to see if that helps.. any other ideas???

Thanks

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Well im sure plenty of people will offer you a Roo...Allways more roos then hens around here...

3. WindDancer

May 15, 2009
    Farmer City, IL
    We are getting some Buff Orpingtons from a fellow rabbit breeder/judge in MO and some from a gentleman on here in IN. I am hoping that because these are exhibition quality, I wont have the issues of infertile eggs. It is very frustrating though lol. [​IMG] my son, Austin, was very disappointed that the eggs didnt hatch yet again... [​IMG] I know I am just about at my wits end with hatching [​IMG] But.. we'll keep trying!

how do you all get so many fertilized eggs?? Do you keep in breeding pens or what?

4. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    If I was in your place, I would start with making sure my ration of roos to hens isn't too low.

Then I would check the eggs I have collected (assuming they are from my own flock and not bought eggs). I would crack several eggs and check for the bullseye to make sure they are being fertilized.

If the majority are fertile then I would double check my incubator. Are my thermometer and hygrometer calibrated correctly? Do I have the temp and/or humidity too high or too low. Are my kids and or husband opening the bator (personally I've caught my little buggers attempting to do this) and handling the eggs without my knowledge? Is it set near a heat source or a strong draft?

I don't know what else I can say except that I hope you find out what is happening. How frustrating for you and your family to loose so many hatches, good luck. [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Excellent post! Sure hope your son gets a good hatch next time! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

You just need to get him some ROO-AGRA! [​IMG]

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    What kind of incubator do you have? How many hens do you have to your rooster? My guy has 20 girls and almost everyone of them are fertile. I just might be your bator.

9. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Mine are fertile as I have to many roos,but this weekend 4 are going to the sale and then im seperating to breeding pens.

10. WindDancer

May 15, 2009
    Farmer City, IL
    Quote:I have the bator in the kitchen and there's a vent under the table. It's only a foot or so from the bator.. why would that effect the bator though?? If so, I'll have to find a different place to put it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by