I think I found my egg eating chicken, What should I do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sandy sea, Aug 12, 2010.

1. sandy sea

sandy sea Songster

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    I have been finding pecked and eaten eggs for several months now.I am tired of it. I watch this morning and caught my cochin and her 4 chicks trying to crack open an egg. She pecked at it several different times trying to crack it open, and so were some of her chicks. She returned to the egg several times. Should I rehome her and her chicks? There is a farmer down the street that will take her. Will her chicks remember and continue to crack open eggs? Can I train them not to eat the eggs? How?

2. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    I've heard of blowing out an egg (making a pin hole on either sides and blowing the yolk out of it) and then filling it with hot sauce or some kind of nasty stuff that will make the hen go BLEH! and place it in the nest.. just like a normal egg. Hopefully she'll taste a bit of it and never try to eat one again.

Good luck. [​IMG]

3. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Songster

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Quote:I just read this post by Cowgirl71 under a different question and thought it was clever. Maybe it could work for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by