I think I got a sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blackswamp, Nov 12, 2013.

1. blackswamp

blackswamp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    NW Ohio
    I got a Golden Buff that is 7 months old. Lately she hasn't been herself. I noticed one day when I went to let them free range from the run she was just standing still & barely moving. She did come out finally started to move with the rest of the flock but wasn't really scratching around like the rest of the flock. Two days later the same way but she went over by the deck & just sat there. When I go to put them in I ring a bell & give them meal worms & she just sat there. I had to pick her up & put her in the coop. She is my most active bird I got & she will knock the treat bowl out of your had when she sees it so I know she not feeling good.

I give them ACV with there water everyday.
    I noticed twice when she pooped one was like a foam/bubbles & the other was runny.

Thanks for any help
    Jeff

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have worms as demonstrated by the foamy dropping, but I would also treat the flock for coccidiosis. Corid 1 tsp powder, or 2 tsp of liquid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treat all in flock. After treatment is finished, they will need vitamins and either probiotics or small amounts of yogurt to replace vitamins lost and increase their good gut bacteria. Valbazen and Safeguard liquid wormer are excellent wormers. Be sure and check her for mites also.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    One vet told me that foamy poop was a sign of a Protozoa, which could mean coccidiosis, blackhead or maybe giardia, but coccidiosis is the most common and easiest to treat for.

Treatment for coccidiosis is Corid or Amprol, liquid or powder for 5-7 days. If you decide to treat, the doses are 1.5 teaspoons of the powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of the liquid per gallon. Make fresh daily and make it the only water source.

This link has more info on dosing amounts and the math to calculate them: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  4. blackswamp

Aug 11, 2012
    NW Ohio
    Where can I pick up Corid?

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Get the liquid if they have it, it's easier to use, IMO.

-Kathy

7. blackswamp

Aug 11, 2012
    NW Ohio
    If I mix this with there water all 6 chickens will be on it & will there eggs be ok to eat?

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Okay for all and you can eat the eggs.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by