I think I got scammed and robbed :(

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Brujj1, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Brujj1

Brujj1 Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    Souris, PEI
    So I was so excited when someone answered my ad on kijiji and he lives around here where I live and he delivered me 4 pullets supposedly. This is my first time ever and I just moved to here. I wanted some pullets as both pets and for egg laying. The guy knew that and brought me 4. Here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And they are all roosters aren't they?

And the guy was telling me on and on about how I should buy mulch and make little places for them to lay eggs. He even asked me if I wanted roosters. I was later talking to someone and showed these pics. She said these are all roosters and not only that the guy who sold me these is known as a criminal around here.

I feel bad for myself and for the roosters. I don't know what to do next.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Oh, those are all cockerels :( So sorry that happened to you. That guy knew exactly what he was doing sticking you with those boys. If you're attached it is possible to keep a bachelor flock of roosters like that, but you will get no eggs. And if you wanted to keep them all and get hens you'd need around 40 hens for them all to be happy. Maybe you could keep your favorite and get some girls for him and try to find homes for the others.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  3. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

X2, all cockerels. [​IMG]

~Alex

4. Brujj1

Brujj1 Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    Souris, PEI
    I sat at the door of the coop thinking of the guy who brought them and how innocent animals are. I watched them for a while and they are now able to move toward me not stuck to the corner. I feel very bad :( I feel like i should get my money back but I also don't want these to go back to this guy. I don't think I will be able to sell them as hardly anyone is looking for roosters.
    I can't get 40 hens for them either. People tell me to call the police as he is a known criminal. I live alone so I thought best not to deal with him anymore. Now I am thinking I will go to the police tomorrow and explain what happened and get their suggestion. But I do feel bad for the animals.

1 person likes this.
  5. SAZUGT

SAZUGT Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    South East, AZ
    Oh man sorry to hear! Unfortunately I've learned the hard way that reputation is everything, if the person you're getting something from is a known crook, even if it's a great deal, it won't be worth it in the end.

In our house we make sausage out of our roosters so that's an alternative too. Mix the meat at a 2:1 ratio, rooster meat to pork fat, add spices and you're good to go!

6. dmanhefner

dmanhefner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2015
    Police will not be interested as all he has to say is he thought they were hens. Proving he knowingly sold you roosters would not be something they would take interest in. How much are you out?

7. Brujj1

Brujj1 Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    Souris, PEI
    I paid $12 each that doesn't hurt me. The thing that hurts me is that he scammed me. He stood around and talked for 20 min. His kid was with him. He told me how to get mulch and put in this and that to make them comfy to lay eggs. All that was bs. People tell me he is known for scamming people. I feel like police should know. It is not about getting the money back. But I am also getting close to these little boys. They are very scared but started walking around when I sit there. I am a lady. I don't think I have the heart to hurt them in any way. I mean I don't think I can kill them. I saw my grandpa do it when I was a kid so I know how but doing it is another story.

What breed are they? Any idea? Also how old could they be?
    I haven't heard them crowing yet. They sound very much like hens lol They are not fighting or doing any rooster kind of behavior yet. I wonder if I get 2-3 hens will they hurt the hens?

What a terrible start this became. I was looking forward to having hens since June and finally found someone deliver and this happened. Now I am scared to get hens in case these will start fighting among themselves or hurt the hens.

8. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    If you get 2 to 3 hens those boys are going to run them ragged mating them. The hens will be very stressed and unhappy. If you're okay with keeping them as pets, you certainly can. A flock of all roosters with no hens to squabble over can get along very well if you don't think you would be able to rehome them or eat them. But don't get any hens for them unless you can get at least five per rooster, and even then you'll likely end up needing more.

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They are Production Red mixes, and between 14 and 16 weeks old. The problem with getting a few hens, and keeping them with these guys is the stress that those hens will have to endure. Dodging 4 amorous cockerels can take a tremendous toll in terms of stress. And they would be at serious risk of being severely injured by overbreeding. Either rehome them, or butcher them. Then find someone reputable, with references, or order a few sexed chicks from a hatchery.
    If you put your location (just general region, doesn't have to be specific) in your profile, we may be able to point you in the right direction for obtaining some mature or nearly mature girls.

10. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    So sad that we get to meet this way but as you've been told by now those are certainly young boys. I feel it is just awful for somebody to try and take advantage of a person like this. You do not have a lot of recourse sadly. You can try to sell them but that may prove troublesome and not entirely work for you. I would recommend studying up on the breed you want to have ahead of time, chickens are not expensive if all you want are some docile hens to give you eggs there are a variety of hatcheries that can assist you. If you are willing to pay a little more a reputable local breeder would be the way to go. Best wishes!

Your cockerels seem to like eachother which is a good thing at the very least.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by