1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think I got scammed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BlueSkyeRanch, May 16, 2016.

1. BlueSkyeRanch

BlueSkyeRanch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Sooooo, I bought 4 "laying hens" from a guy on Craigslist, who said the hens were all laying and were just over a year old. It's been 9 days since I brought them home, NOT 1 EGG!!! I contacted him a few days after I brought them home and he said to give them a few days to get settled. Is 9 days long enough to expect them to be settled? Is this normal? [​IMG]

2. danielkbrantley

danielkbrantley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I always thought it would take a while, but friends have gotten chickens of laying age that started laying the same day. I honestly don't know if it depends on the individual bird's temperament or if you got scammed. I'm curious to find out though...

That said, if you're getting chickens solely for egg laying, I'd recommend only getting them when they're obviously young and not full grown.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Generally craigslist is not the best place to get chickens, especially as a new chicken owner. Any stress can affect egg production, for an unknown length of time. Good food, treating for mites/ lice/ whatever, and time, might do the trick. If they are molting, or elderly, and fail to produce, either enjoy them and get better birds, or just move on. I'm paranoid about biosecurity, and so NEVER get random source birds. Good luck, Mary

4. BlueSkyeRanch

Mar 23, 2016
    Yeah,, I let my impatience get the best of me. I have a good number of chicks that I'm waiting on but I was hoping to get the egg party started before they were of age. I should have known better, I guess [​IMG] Thanks for your feedback

5. BlueSkyeRanch

Mar 23, 2016
    HI Mary! Thank you. Lessons learned eh? I thought I posted a Newbie post a couple weeks ago but I'm not sure it went through. Thanks for the warm welcoming. I'm still trying to figure out this site.

6. BlueSkyeRanch

Mar 23, 2016
    I wish I knew a reliable source here in Las Vegas [​IMG]

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They have just been through a major change. And change for chickens means stress. Once they settle in and feel more relaxed, they will begin to lay. But be patient. It may take over a month for all of them to start back up. It's normal.

8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Agreed, 3-6 weeks is not uncommon. Also like previously stated, the could be molting which would delay laying. Also could be older than you were told. Which also will delay laying longer.

9. BlueSkyeRanch

Mar 23, 2016
    That makes me feel better[​IMG] I'm hoping this was the case but I am new to this so I am over here freaking out. I just finished this beautiful coop and was SO excited, I jumped the gun.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  10. BlueSkyeRanch

Mar 23, 2016
    Crossing my fingers, thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by