I Think I Got Taken??

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Euphemia, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Euphemia

Euphemia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    Just about two months ago I bought a "breeding" pair of India Peafowl. I was told they were yearlings, just getting ready to breed, this year. I initially bought them to free range in hopes of keeping my chickens safe from hawks.After doing some reading, which i admit I should have done before my purchase, I learned that the male does not develop a long train until age three? The male I bought has a very long train, leading me to believe he is not a yearling? I am not clear how to tell the age of the hen. If I am going to have a chance at breed peafowl what do you suggest? Should I see how this pairing goes, buy more hens?? Thanks for any input.

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Greetings and [​IMG], in particular, the Special Department of Peas!

First of all, if you can post a picture of your birds we'll be able to tell you exactly what you have got there (besides the fact that we are just crazy about pictures here!!).
    If your birds had been a yearling pair, they would have been too young to breed.
    Peahens don't lay until they are 2, and peacocks can't fertilize until they're 3 (I think there may be some debate on this?).
    So if you have breeding in mind, you are better off if they are older.

I must admit that I'm not sure how peas would keep your chickens safe from hawks?
    But I don't have chickens so maybe I'm missing something.

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    This is my 2 year old male and this is his first real train so just cause they are not 3 does not mean they can not have a full blown train.
    I also had 3 of my 11 month old peahens lay last year.

Nothing set in stone with the peas but hens should be laying by the age of 3 and males should have a full train by 3.

Please post some photos of your pretties Zaz loves photos [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  4. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    None of my 2 year olds never had a train like the picture above. They are 3 this year and grew the train out the last couple months. So if anything you could a have 3 year old male and a 3 year old hen.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  5. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    Zaz,New2,Yoda, last summer I had a hen,or possibly 2 hens that would have been 1 year old last summer(Born 2011) that did lay 3 eggs in their pen. I did incubate them with no development but had to try.Last season my Charcoal,IB,IB/BS,IB Pied males and Thang were all 2 years old and was in breeding pens and I got fertile eggs galore from my India Blue pen,and although I only hatched one Charcoal I had 15 quitters.I hatched about 15 total from Thang. The age of 3 for males being old enough to breed is wrong,they can breed at 2 years of age.Hens also lay fertile eggs at 2 years old but the egg count is not as high as 3 year old hens. My 2 year old IB hens averaged only 12 eggs per hen all season long.Male trains do come into their own at the age of 3 compared to the length when they were 2 years old.

6. Euphemia

Euphemia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    I apologize in advance at how big this photo is but even my kids did not know how to fix it. So here they are1 Thanks so much for the warm welcome and the input.

7. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I would see how it goes... If the male has a full train I doubt he would be a yearling...He might be around 3 yrs. It is harder to tell a peahen's age...I would make sure that it is a peahen just incase. A lot of people mistake yearling peacocks for peahens. If your peahen has a brown body, creamy white chest, and a green neck it is a peahen. If she has barring on her back and wings then it is a young peacock. Normally yearlings are not ready to breed, but in some cases as stated above it can happen... Now because the peacock is an adult, and I am guessing if they are ready to breed than the peahen might be too, you need to make sure you pen them for a long time before letting them free-range. Adult peafowl can be harder to keep free-ranging than young peafowl that grew up in your yard, although you still can free-range adults and your chickens might help anchor them there.

I don't know how well they will be for keeping away hawks...My first peafowl were a pair and once I started free-ranging them they were always hidding in the bushes. If they heard or saw a hawk, they would run under the bushes and hide even though they are too big for a hawk, they would still hide. Now all my peafowl are in a pen, but when they see a hawk they look up to the sky and make a certain noise when they see the hawk, but they don't really run and hide. They can spot hawks very well, so maybe the alarm call they make might alert your chickens. They also identify with the call that wild birds make when they see a hawk, and that makes them all stop and look for the hawk. One peafowl breeder has hawk and owl problems and he has lots of peafowl in and out of pens. Although there is one peafowl breeder I have talked to that said one day when a hawk attacked one of her chickens a big group of her peafowl gathered around and scared the hawk away. Also she said that her peacocks scared away a stray dog that came into her yard. She said that her peacocks were flying after the dog and the dog ran away. I guess it depends on the situation...I think peafowl are different for everyone...For some people their peafowl will wander over to the neighbors house or they will wander off into the woods or even run off with some turkeys, for others their peafowl stay in the backyard and will go inside the coop with the chickens at night. I think the only way to know is just to see what happens, so hopefully they will allert your chickens of danger...I don't know about fighting off an attacking hawk though...

8. johnskoi

johnskoi Chillin' With My Peeps

not that i was trying,but i've got at least 3 hens (approaching 2 this summer) already laying fertile eggs ... the boys are the same age --- their trains are pitiful at best, but there are a few sporadic eyes .. i've got 2 boys coming into their 3rd year in the same pen, but it's the two year old boys that i see mounting the hens.... i had lights on in the pen for the past two winters with these guys for added warmth which is what i'm sure triggered the early laying...

9. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    My peafowl aren't 1 yet but I posted video of my young cock puffing up and facing down an owl. I think we gave him the courage to do it though considering the chickens can chase the peas off the food and the peas are easily twice the size of the chickens. Going by coloring I believe I have 2 boys and 2 girls. Had 3 girls but one vanished.
    [​IMG]

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Nice and healthy looking bunch you have there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by