I think I hatched out Zebras......new pics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Smoky73, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I am posting here with a genetic quandry. I have posted photos in the incubation thread to hatch the 19th & 20th.

I think I hatched Zebras instead of silkies....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are not great pics, the second one does not show the striping as clearly seeing they were still wet and not fluffed, but they are white, with black stripes on them. My potential should have been blue or black, and they are neither. I have a black cockerel and 5 blue and 1 splash hen. They seem to have been from the same mother though, same egg size and shape.
    Any thoughts as to color?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    I am thinking splashes they are really cute are they silkies......

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I hatched out a lot of splashes last year because I had a blue rooster, but, never had one look like these! Yeah they are silkies, so the black skin kinda throws you off when your trying to vision the fluff on the second pic.

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    What about those "painted" silkies?

[​IMG]

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    gray, but if the down dry a bit darker then a bad coloured partridge.

6. Hmmmm , i dunno what color they are but they are really cute !
    If i were to guess i would say splash , but i don't know for sure. Would like to see pics when they feather out though .

Fay

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It looks to me like their dark skin showing through the not yet dried down. Once they dried out did the stripes disappear?

I would say likely to be splash or possibly white if your birds were carriers.

8. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Here are the updated pics. As you can see, one has darker stripes than the other. I actually have a third one that hatched over night, and two blue.
    These are pure Silkies and not mixed with anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another option I have been told is a silver gened white? And like I said, strickly from a blue,black,splash pen...no other colors there.

I am perplexed. [​IMG]

9. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG]

Smoky they're ADORABLE little zebras !!

And just curious where you get your pellets and what are they( for your brooder ) I've asked around here at several of the farm and feed stores and nobody knows what I'm talking about other than to say they carry Sweet PDZ.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hi Cara,
    Not silver gene white--that would be a silvery white down colour--uniform throughout. Are the eggs from your own flock, and/or did you acquire the birds from another breeder? Some of the lavender lines have striping, and if your cock and one or more hens are carriers you could have lavenders. The ASBC website has a discussion and I think photos of them.

Okay--I just went and looked at the Lavenders discussion and photos that Bren posted and yours look exactly like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by