I think I have 1 Roo and 3 pullets...What do you think?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by okiemommy, Jun 10, 2008.

1. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    I have two buff Orps and I am pretty sure that one of them is a roo....and two RIR and they are both girls? I bought them on Memorial Day at Lumber 2, and the folks here on BYC said that they were probably between 3-5 and 5-7 days old at that time so that would make them.... 3 wks old? So what do you think? Do I have one roo, and 3 pullets? Or is it too early to tell on the other three still? Thanks for your input!

these are my Buff Orps:[​IMG]

And these are a few pics of my RIR's they were running away from me so that's why there are so many...they are both in the same position in all 3 pics. ie the one in back is in back all the time [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    working on getting the pics fixed! grrr! I hit the post instead of preview.....

3. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    Ok here are the Buff Orps [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the RIR's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Are they the same age? That one RIR looks like it still hasnt started growing tail feahters? The one in the first pic is definately a roo with the red comb.

5. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    I'm not sure if they are the same age (?) I bought them at the Lumber 2, and just reached in there and picked out the ones I caught. It's possible that they are at least a couple of days apart b/c there was a sign that was posted that said, hatched every Monday and Wednesday.

I love your quote!

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me.​

6. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Thanks. I think it is a little to early to tell for sure but the first one is for sure because of the comb. The RIRs well if I was a betting person the one without the tail would be a roo too. I would wait and see if they get pink in their comb.

7. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    how old do are they when it is easier to tell what they are? Do the females get the tails first in all breeds or is that just a RIR trait? Thank you for the help! [​IMG]

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    You have 1 roo and 1 hen in the 1st pic.

I think you have a roo in the 1st RIR pic.

The others I can't tell.

9. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    oh yay!!! Thanks Rooster- Red!! I was really hoping to have four hens and a rooster. I am in trouble if I have three!!!!!! I read your page on rooster aggression and realized I need more hens (even if I had only ended up with one rooster) Is is possible to sex the chicks at a feed store? Or do I need to mail order them in order to 'ensure' pullets

edited to get Rooster-Red's name right [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  10. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    oh and the other pics are additional pics of the same birds standing in the same order...does that help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by