I think I have 1 Roo and 3 pullets...What do you think?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by okiemommy, Jun 10, 2008.

1. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    I have two buff Orps and I am pretty sure that one of them is a roo....and two RIR and they are both girls? I bought them on Memorial Day at Lumber 2, and the folks here on BYC said that they were probably between 3-5 and 5-7 days old at that time so that would make them.... 3 wks old? So what do you think? Do I have one roo, and 3 pullets? Or is it too early to tell on the other three still? Thanks for your input!

these are my Buff Orps:[​IMG]

And these are a few pics of my RIR's they were running away from me so that's why there are so many...they are both in the same position in all 3 pics. ie the one in back is in back all the time [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    working on getting the pics fixed! grrr! I hit the post instead of preview.....

3. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    Ok here are the Buff Orps [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the RIR's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Are they the same age? That one RIR looks like it still hasnt started growing tail feahters? The one in the first pic is definately a roo with the red comb.

5. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    I'm not sure if they are the same age (?) I bought them at the Lumber 2, and just reached in there and picked out the ones I caught. It's possible that they are at least a couple of days apart b/c there was a sign that was posted that said, hatched every Monday and Wednesday.

I love your quote!

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me.​

6. Thanks. I think it is a little to early to tell for sure but the first one is for sure because of the comb. The RIRs well if I was a betting person the one without the tail would be a roo too. I would wait and see if they get pink in their comb.

7. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    how old do are they when it is easier to tell what they are? Do the females get the tails first in all breeds or is that just a RIR trait? Thank you for the help! [​IMG]

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    You have 1 roo and 1 hen in the 1st pic.

I think you have a roo in the 1st RIR pic.

The others I can't tell.

9. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    oh yay!!! Thanks Rooster- Red!! I was really hoping to have four hens and a rooster. I am in trouble if I have three!!!!!! I read your page on rooster aggression and realized I need more hens (even if I had only ended up with one rooster) Is is possible to sex the chicks at a feed store? Or do I need to mail order them in order to 'ensure' pullets

edited to get Rooster-Red's name right [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  10. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    oh and the other pics are additional pics of the same birds standing in the same order...does that help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by