I Think I Have 2 Roosters Or A Crowing Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by doublejfarm, Aug 20, 2011.

1. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    This morning is the first morning I have been home late enough to hear to roo crow in a while. As a usually leave for work at like 4:00 am. Anyway, like normal he is crowing up a storm but also have a 20ish week pullet that is crowing. Whats the deal. I know that a hen will sometimes crow to show rank, but I thought that was only if there was no roo. The pullet in question is a mixed breed so color isn't helping in sex determination. I don't think I see spurs, but it keeps chasing the other hens and fluffing up its feathers. Also my roo is acting weird he is dancing for the girls and he only has one tail feather left. Do I have 2 roos or a psycho hen on my hands.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds like two roosters. At this age the spurs on a cockerel are not any more prominent than those on a pullet. Other secondary sex characteristics of a rooster are significantly larger comb (unless pea combed). pointed hackle and sickle feathers, elongated flowing tail feathers, behavioral characteristics- wing dancing, calling hens to food, hackle flaring.

3. henpeckedmuch

henpeckedmuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Here is an old saying for you, "A whistling woman or a crowing hen neither one will come to a good end".

4. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    I've had hens crow even with roos around. Right now with three bantam roos, one of my D'Uccle hens crow. She is over five years old and still lays, but just started to crow. She's only done it few times.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Need some pictures with a good side shot... [​IMG]

FWIW, my now 20-week EE cockerel has smaller spur bumps than the 21-week Welsummer pullets do! Spurs come later than pointy hackle and saddle feathers.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    pics would help a ton [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by