I think I have 4 Roosters and 2 hens...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sjnocill, Jun 19, 2011.

1. sjnocill

sjnocill Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    I got these 6 chicks from a friend about 6 weeks ago, they were 3 weeks old then. Their son hatched them as a school project. I am new to chickens and they are only 9 weeks old, but I think 4 of them are roosters and only 2 hens. Am I right? And if you recognize the breed you can help me out with that as well. Thanks.

[​IMG]
    Looks pretty obvious, a Rooster maybe New Hampshire Red?

[​IMG]
    Don't know what breed but looks like a rooster.

[​IMG]
    Looks like another rooster?

[​IMG]
    Plymouth Barred Rock I think, looks like a rooster and a hen, but they are the same color.

[​IMG]
    A better look at the same hen.

[​IMG]
    A hen! I don't know what kind though, white leghorn?

[​IMG]
    All 6.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I think your right ! Cant really help on breeds except the barred rock looks to be female 5th and 6th photos look to be girls

3. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Not good at this, but the 1st one looks a "little" like our NH, the 3rd one does look like a roo to me and looks a "lot" like the Columbian Rock Cross birds we got from TSC... Honestly doesn't mean a thing, but oh well.... Do you know where the eggs came from and what breeds they might have had?

Edited: looking at the NH... Don't think so... maybe a production red? Mine doesn't have any white feathers.... ?????

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  4. sjnocill

Jun 19, 2011
    They came from a mixed flock. You are probably right on both counts though because the only local supply store to the guy I got them from is a Tractor Supply.

So how does the breeding thing work with a mixed flock and one rooster? The guy I got them from has one white rooster and a variety of hens. If the white rooster mates with a barred rock, will the offspring be barred rock? Or a mixture? This may be the case for the red one. If the white rooster mates with a NH red, might you get what I have in my first picture?

5. sjnocill

Jun 19, 2011
    Quote:I am confused on the barred rocks. Based on size and combs, one looks clearly like a rooster compared to the other one. But they are exactly the same color. Could this have something to do with them not being pure bred?

6. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Wish I could answer those questions, but I have not studied up on chicken genetics (yet [​IMG] )
    Think of it like dogs... if they aren't the same breed... they are mutts... Cross a lab and a yorkie... and you get some characteristics of both breeds (temperament, ear shape, color, muscle structure, etc).

Most people seem to go by the color of the barring for BR... I don't have any, so I can't help there either.

Good luck with all of it... I know it is frustrating at times.

7. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    When you are dealing with barnyard crosses, the color rule for barred Rocks is out the door. So, a hen could be very light or a roo very dark. I would guess you have a lovely flock of barnyard crosses.

8. sjnocill

Jun 19, 2011
    Quote:Thanks. I like how you worded it; "A lovely flock of barnyard crosses."

Is there any doubt with these four roosters? I think I want to go ahead a get rid of them because a couple of them are alredy trying to bully another hen we recently got and I don't have any need for them anyway. But I would hate to get rid of them if they were actually hens.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  9. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Quote:Thanks. I like how you worded it; "A lovely flock of barnyard crosses."

Is there any doubt with these four roosters? I think I want to go ahead a get rid of them because a couple of them are alredy trying to bully another hen we recently got and I don't have any need for them anyway. But I would hate to get rid of them if they were actually hens.

Hens will bully new hens,its the pecking order thing....

10. tball

tball Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    hemphill,tx
    I think your right on the sex part and i have all prodution reds and they look like your red...good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by