I think I have a broody hen...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HanwellChickens, Nov 14, 2013.

1. HanwellChickens

HanwellChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2013
    Hanwell, New Brunswick
    I think my RIR, Molly has decided to go broody on me. My husband found one in the nesting box last night, so he removed her and put her on the roosting bar. Tonight when I got home from work, I found her in nesting box laying on an egg. She seems to be doubled in size, and was growling at me. I removed the egg, and put her on the floor of the coop and she just laid there growling. So then I put her outside with the other hens and she seemed okay.

When I checked on them when to tuck them in, I noticed that she was in the box again. Should have I removed her when i checked on them or just leave her there ( which I did). I did make sure that there weren't anymore eggs under her. I thought that RIR weren't supposed to get broody, so this is really new to me.

Any ideas??

Thanks.

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    Do you want her to hatch out chicks? If so then give her some fertile eggs to sit on and hatch. If you do not want her hatching out chicks then it would be best to put her in a wire bottom crate with food and water for a couple of days to a week to get her body temp back down.

3. HanwellChickens

Jun 12, 2013
    Hanwell, New Brunswick
    I'd love for her to hatch out chicks, just not in the winter. I'll see how she is tomorrow and will put her in a dog crate if she's still acting broody.

4. Wait she's trying to sit on 1 egg? or multiple? I think winter should be fine, I could be wrong, if you give a heat lamp.. RIR aren't typically broody girls.
    Good Luck!

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, if you desire chicks, it won't matter what the season as long as they're broody-raised. She can supply all the warmth the eggs need to incubate as well as keep the chicks warm once they hatch.

You definitely have a broody, from the description of her behavior. She can sit on one egg or as many as she can cover with her body. If she determines she's not ready to begin sitting until she has a certain number of eggs, she'll continue to leave the nest until enough eggs accumulate to her satisfaction. But it sounds like your broody is ready to sit one egg.

6. HanwellChickens

Jun 12, 2013
    Hanwell, New Brunswick
    ok..I just put 2 eggs under her. An egg from my Silver Spangled Hamburg and one from my Ameraucana /or Easter Egger. Here's hoping....

7. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    If she is still with the rest of your flock you may want to mark the eggs incase the others lay eggs in the nesting box that she is in, that way you can remove the unmarked ones daily. Good luck!

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I learned the hard way that it's best to keep the other laying hens away from the broody. I had one go in and lay her egg right beside the broody, then she kicked one of the broody's eggs out of the nest, breaking it in the process, leaving but two fertilized eggs for the broody to sit on. I had forgotten that this happens after it had happened the previous year with another broody.

The broody doesn't need company. It's best to isolate her if you can. That way the eggs are safe, and when the chicks hatch, they are safe, also. In addition, it's best if YOU don't handle the eggs, either! It doesn't take much to damage the developing chick inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by