I think I have a broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kelidei, Jan 17, 2010.

1. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Since I haven't had that happen before I am not sure--- I just noticed the past week one of my Dark Cornish hens is spending a lot of time in the nest box. I collect the eggs three times a day so she is sitting on nothing---- yet she is doing the growl thing when I reach under her, she has her feathers all fluffed out like she is trying to cover eggs (which aren't there) and tonight when I thew a handful of scratch on the coop floor she didn't budge--- just watched as the melee ensued. She seems healthy--- not acting sick--- do I just leave her alone and wait until she gives up? [​IMG]

2. ~whitetailcountry~

~whitetailcountry~ Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2009
    Pine Ridge
    Yep sounds like a broody to me..I'm dealing with about 7 at the moment..they react the same way...I do take mine out of the nest box though..ticks em off thoroughly..LOL..But eventually they wind back up in there..If I am gonna be home and its not rainy out I lock my broodies out and let em free range...[​IMG]

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Definitely sounds like she's broody! If you have any fertile eggs, you can stick them under her and have some chicks in a few weeks, or if you don't want her to be broody you can search the forum for how to break a broody to get her out of her motherly delusions.

4. kelidei

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:I would love to do that but right at the moment I would have nowhere to isolate her and the chicks--- that is my project this spring. I plan on having a separate small coop with a small run (we are talking 4x4 coop 4x6 run) to use as a brooder house/breeding house and isolation coop. Wish I could ... she looks sad to me (ok--- maybe I am reading a little too much into that!!) [​IMG]

5. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Aw, that's too bad... Even something small would be fine to isolate her and the chicks. I have my serama hen and her two chicks in a little storage tub currently in the garage, and that works great!

6. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I have used a large dog crate. It worked well.

7. kelidei

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    OK you guys convinced me! I forgot I had like a rabbit hutch thing that I could use and DH was sweet enough to offer to put it in his heated garage... so tomorrow I will set it up and see what happens![​IMG]

8. jsimplytx125

jsimplytx125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    Anything that has a wire bottom with NO nesting material will be helpful. Wire bottom not absolutely neccessary but the movement of air under the bottom helps.
    I put my broody (after 3 weeks of not having time) in my rabbit hutch. 3 days and Taa daa she was normal again. She began to lay again after that and went out with the rest of the girls just like it never happened.

good luck![​IMG]

9. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    jsimplytx125

I think she wants to keep her broody broody- Not break the broody.

10. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

i have a broody and she has been for two weeks now and I was reluctant to try the suggestions on here on how to break her, BUT since the weather has warmed up considerably I think I might try the wire dog crate thing. I miss having her as part of the flock and see her out with the others.

I also get her every morning and afternoon and throw her up in the air and also lock her out of the nesting box in the afternoons so that she will eat, drink and get some exercise and free range with the others for a while.

I would LOVE to be able to give her some eggs to hatch and watch her raise some babies but I can't have any more chickens and especially if some of them will end up being boys. i can't have boys where i am. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by