I think i have a broody.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jferlisi, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So my silkie has been in the nesting box all day and i think she stole an egg form the box across from here which is on the floor atm since we are adding onto the coop. She laid an egg today so i dont know. She doesn't "growl" at me when i go near her but she was screaming at my other silkie when she tried to get into the box. So i was wondering if anyone could let me know if she is or what. Here is a pic of her in her tipped over box, which she did herself.

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Usually they will growl and flatten out, and peck at you if you reach in, along with the growling. I always give them at least 3 days (and nights) to be sure they are determined to stay on the nest. If she layed an egg today she really isn't broody yet, though she may be getting ready, as they will lay a clutch (maybe 8 or 10 eggs) before they actually start setting for real. That way they all hatch more or less at once.

Here's a great article:

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

Since you have Silkies, it would be odd indeed if you didn't get a broody.

3. Eggclucktic Acres

Eggclucktic Acres Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2010
    Western Washington
    My Silkie didn't growl or peck at me. Granted she is my friendliest chicken and is more like a pet than any of the others.

For me, I went into the coop and noticed she was huddled in the corner on the floor of the coop. I went over to check on her and realized that she was sitting on 10 eggs (only 3 were silkie eggs the rest were a mix from my flock). I'm still wondering how she got the large chickens eggs since the nest boxes are up higher. Anyway, she let me pick her up and move the eggs into a cardboard box. I tried moving her into a separate coop but she wouldn't get back on the nest until I moved her back in with her friends. That was about 19 days ago. On Sunday I moved her into a dog kennel in my bathroom and I am proud to say that she stayed on her nest and that 5 of those 10 eggs have hatched so far.

I'm not sure when she had actually started sitting on the eggs since my husband had chicken chores for the 3 days prior.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  4. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Quote:thanks so much for posting this ddawn! i just learned a lot. my game hen has gone broody and has a clutch of 11+ eggs [​IMG] i am soooo happy [​IMG] 1st thing in the am after the usual chores i am going to build her her own little house with a small removable run. then move her into it in the night. she is in every ones favorite nest...and managed to steal a few eggs this morning before i could get to them (thats why its 11+) this is only her second night on the nest so i let her have the few from today - i was able to get 6 eggs out of 8..so i think she got 2 and i am not sure if she layed an egg today?? she did yesterday and i let her keep it because she finally decided to stay put. my roo's are barred rocks and she is a game hen. i may be creating a new breed - game rocks - [​IMG] keep an eye out for them!! most of her other eggs are from my barred rock pullets - only laying for a month now steadily so we shall see how many chickies we get. she also has 2 off my white leghorn eggs and 1 EE (speckles egg - she is black and white speckled with a black collar) i cant wait to see what we get! [​IMG]

Eggclucktic Acres - we want pics of chicks! please [​IMG]

Jferlisi - your silkie in the bucket is too cute!

5. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So update, she is still on the nest. She has only gotten off twice for a few minutes so she could eat and drink. Still no screaming at me but only at the other chickens.

6. Eggclucktic Acres

Eggclucktic Acres Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2010
    Western Washington
    Well today is the "official" hatch due date. Today is 21 days since I moved the eggs into the nest box. Out of 10 eggs, 8 have hatched so far :2 on Tuesday, 2 on Wednesday, 2 on Friday and 2 today so far but we've also had one casualty, a black Silkie that was born on Wednesday passed away that night.

In the interesting behavior department, on Wednesday, I was worried about the chicks being able to get to water and food so I cut a hole in the cardboard nest box. On Thursday, Azula-bell decided to move her eggs out of the box and onto the wood pellets putting her in a position where she could eat and drink without getting off her eggs. Also, I am curious with others experiences. Since the eggs started to hatch, Azula-bell has been emitting a big black stink bomb (once each day) which we now refer to as the "tar bomb". It is like compacted black poop that stinks to the moon. I'm cleaning it up and flushing it right away but it still stinks for awhile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by