I think I have a chicken that imprinted...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tara Black, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Tara Black

Tara Black Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    Dover DE
    So I purchased a one month old Serama Roo (we named him Bob) off of another breeder on this site. She wanted to sell him as a house pet because he doesn's seem to be that fond of other chickens, but loves people and wants to be with them constantly, and I fell in love with him and the idea of a chicken that loved me as much as I love them. Bob really is a people person and has absolutely no interest in chickens or much else. He is my constant shadow (he decided that he would rather take a shower than be out of sight from me for even a minute today) and the only thing I can think of is that he imprinted on Angie, the breeder who hatched him. As far as I can tell, that shouldn't have happened. Has anyone else had a chick do this? If so what breed?

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a 5 week old silkie from a friend that had never interacted with her before and now at 3 months old she likes to follow me everywhere (hates to be left outside).[​IMG]

3. Tara Black

Jul 9, 2013
    Dover DE
    Was she already like that or did you just handle her constantly?

4. Veer67

When I first picked her up she was afraid of people but I interacted with her a lot and now she's tame.

5. SCBelle81

SCBelle81 New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Lexington SC
    Magellan, the handsome boy in my profile pic, is the same way. I got him from a flea market and he was so very skiddish around people but with daily talks and walks around the yard he is definitely my shadow. He calls for me when he is seeking attention and no one but me will do. John, my boyfriend, tried to comfort him but he just pecked at him and continued to call out. I think it has alot to do with the time you spend and the care you give. Animals are very smart, even if they do eat their own poo ;)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  6. Tara Black

Jul 9, 2013
    Dover DE
    See that's the thing, Bob has been this way since Angie hatched him out, like imprinting, but chickens aren't supposed to imprint.

7. Veer67

Do you mean that adult chickens don't imprint? I know that baby chicks imprint, your rooster probably considers you as his flock.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  8. Tara Black

Jul 9, 2013
    Dover DE
    Everything I've found says that hatched chicks don't imprint on people. I'm glad he did though, because he is the coolest little chick ever!

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have had chicks imprint on me. The were incubated using brooder but kept near bed and hand fed little bits at a time. I used imitations' of calls hen and rooster make. When not feeding chicks slept under shirt. Time required renders general practice impractical if you have a job. Process best left to kids looking for something different to do for summer. Mine have always been American Games but other breeds may be suitable.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by