I think I have a cochin rooster??? what do you think?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jtaylor, Nov 5, 2008.

1. jtaylor

jtaylor New Egg

Nov 5, 2008
    This is B.B, a recent addition to my coop. One of my friends had mentioned "her" possibly being a rooster? I havent heard her crow yet or ever, but does anyone have experience with cochin breeds and would be able to confirm or deny this? I would appreciate it very much!

[​IMG]

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    how old???
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  3. jtaylor

jtaylor New Egg

Nov 5, 2008
    I believe "she" is about 3 or 4 years old...but she is also a new addition so I don't know for sure. Havent seen "her" in the nesting box either...

4. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    A girl.

5. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    If she is that old, for sure a hen.

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Looks like a hen to me and I don't believe it's a cochin either, maybe a mix? I have cochins and she does not look anything like them.

7. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    And it doesn't look like a Cochin to me. Cochins have feathers all the way down there legs. Don't think there are exceptions, but correct me if I am wrong.

8. jtaylor

jtaylor New Egg

Nov 5, 2008
    Well that makes me feel better that she is still a she. Could she maybe be a cochin/australorp mix? I have an australorp and she doesnt have the feathers on the feet, which is why I ruled out australorp for BB because she has the feathers. Can anyone tell me if that could be a possibility? Thanks

9. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    She looks to be a hen. Put her in with the rooster, and you will know right a way.

Rufus

10. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    She has the feathered feet, but she's likely a cross with something because her body type is not as "fluffy" as it should be. She's partially Cochin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by