I think I have a disabled chick (with PICS)

rainnotebook

Songster
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Northern AZ
So I just got my shipment from Ideal Poultry and have a great healthy lot of chicks. Except for one. I got Rhode Island Reds and I would guess they are 3 days old right now. Well there is one chick that can't get up or move around. I pick him up and straighten his legs and they seem developed fine but he won't move or walk around. I had water him and try to feed him but he hasn't tried to eat from my hand yet. He does sleep a lot but is very alert when I hold him and water him. He doesn't fall asleep while I hold him.

I have a feeling he is just a disabled bird. No one picks on him but he doesn't go anywhere. Sometimes he'll "crawl" to a different spot but not very far. Because his legs dont move his wings do and are almost always spread out as if he is trying to find balance since he can't with his legs.

I just don't know what to do with him. Put him out of his misery? (even though he doesn't seem to be in any pain) Is it possible he'll develop strength to get up and walk around? Do I let nature take it's course? He is just so sweet and I hate to see him like this. Just wish I knew what to do.

Last edited:
My red chantecler was like that from Ideal - she just kind of stood there and didn't move. She was OK after a few days of chick starter, warm red light, and some ACV water. I think the stress of the shipping got to her, but she's fine now. Much smaller than everyone else, though.

Yes, I would give him sugar water for a day or two. Boil the water, remove from heat, stir in sugar until dissolved, let cool, and give to baby. 3T of sugar per 1 quart of water. Good luck!
smile.png

Quote:
No they don't split at all. They stay right under him but he barely even moves them. I looked at him closer compared to the other chicks and his "knees" or the joint there is big like they are swelled up except that they don't look like they have fluid in them. Just looked like they are formed like that. Also they looked a little scabbed like he'd been rubbing them or something. I don't know. I'm going to go home and take pictures tonight of him.

I'm having that same problem with one of mine. He can't stand, & his knees are swollen. It's been going on for about 5 days. I think we're gonna cull the little guy tonight. He's on antibiotics, & taping his legs did no good at all. His feet are swelling now, & turning black. I just don't see him getting better, & I'm sure he's in pain. He does eat & drink, if you put it in front of him, but he's got no control over where he's going, so if he tries to move, he just flops everywhere. I hope yours recovers, but I'm thinking mine won't.

Okay so I actually stopped and took pictures. I've been really watching him and watering him with sugar water. I've discovered that he is trying to walk but is walking on his 'knees' because of this his knees are a little bloody. His spirits are great, he drinks just fine. I keep trying to feed him but he won't really take the food. Every now and then though if there is food in front of him he'll peck at it.

He actually is starting to move more, but only by crawling on his knees. He seems to have most control of where he's going.

Here are his pictures:

Him walking...
4607597001_cc4897c0c1_b.jpg

His legs scabbed and bloody from him walking on them.
4607597245_7eeca7aff0_b.jpg

His legs that are curled up all the time
4607597557_34477c8fe6_b.jpg

As opposed to his fellow siblings that have stretched out legs
4607598583_52669b7af5_b.jpg

And him walking in his box
4608207164_1393f0965a_b.jpg

Any suggestions?

So I did something I probably shouldn't have done... I got attached and I named him. (why I think its a boy I don't know considering its more likely to be a pullet) Anyways I named him Malin. I search online for a strong yet little meaning of a name and found this

The boy's name Malin \\m(a)-
lin\\ is of Old English origin, and its meaning is "little strong warrior".

As much as he's been through, shipping from Texas, getting to me on the 3rd day of his life and still being strong, I think the name fits him. I'm going to take care of him as long as I can and as long as he isn't in pain.

I'm working on "therapy" and stretching out his legs every now and then. He seems to be getting stronger and stronger every hour. Better then getting weaker!

So today instead of me having to dip his head to drink water, I only had to hold his head up and he took a drink from the water. I'm so proud of him. Still strong as ever, just crawling.

Back
Top Bottom