I think I have a fox that is trap savvy!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tala, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I put out cat food outside the trap that disappeared, but haven't been able to catch said predator inside the trap using several baits including the same catfood that it seems to like. The last bird I lost disappeared leaving only a pile of feathers.
    Conclusions are either the pred is trap savvy or possibly too large for the raccoon trap. I thought I saw a fox run across the road in the dark last night though, so my gut says this was a fox that is too smart to get trapped.
    Ideas please??

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    grey fox are the smaller of the fox the raccoon trap might catch a small one the ideal cage trap for a fox is at least 15-18" wide 18-24" tall 36-48 "deep the best way to bait a cage trap is dig a hole under the trap and put the bait in the hole center the trigger of the trap over the bait either stake your trap down with re rod or put a coupla of cinder blocks on top of it to keep the animal from flipping said trap.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I caught this one, it was a male, so I know he fit in there. Maybe he had a mate in the area??
    [​IMG]

4. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    Cover the wire bottom of the trap so he won't feel like he's walking on wire also cover the trap make it look like it's not a trap .
    old feed sacks will do to cover it with , foxes are hard to catch in a walk in trap .

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I caught this guy sometime after yesterday afternoon, but before midnight. Big sucker!!!
    I suspect it is the one that dragged a BCM roo out and only ate the head.

I STILL think there is a fox out there who took my Leghorn roo and only left a pile of feathers behind.
    [​IMG]

ETA: Tonight I set up the trap in a slightly different location, covered in a Startena sack and put a piece of rubber mat in the front part of the trap so it wouldn't feel like wire.
    I got bitten on the foot by an ant that had probably been feeding on the other night's dead raccoon......so if I go crazy in the next couple of weeks somebody just shoot me and get it over with.
    And in other news, I have recently discovered Off Clip-On mosqueto repellent and it WORKS! I absolutely hate the feeling of bug spray on my skin, and RARELY use it, but this clip on thing I will actually use!

And lastly, I noticed that something has definitely been "testing" my pen. The welded wire and chicken wire that coveres the cattle panel on one side has been pushed and pulled in several places. Could have been one of the coons that I have trapped.....or could be another one that's still out there! Good to know that so far my pen is holding up to the tests!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:the reason most folks have a hard time catching fox in cage traps is the trap is too small, grey fox and bobcat are easy to catch you just need a large enough trap it is not so much if they can fit in a trap, it is a lot quicker to catch them if they can walk in and not have to crawl in when they are crawling they are vulnerable to attack from others. this being said I can catch red fox/coyote the next day most times with a coil spring trap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by