I think I have a hermaphrodite Runner...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mominoz, Mar 5, 2014.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Last years hatch, I thought I might have 3 drakes, then when they molted this fall, I had 2....but as time went on , ones feathers thru the winter kept growing/changing getting a green sheen on it's head, chest turning gray, faint ring around neck and it's voice is short of a raspy quack, louder than the other drakes, and it's coloring is more muddied... they are all about 9 months old....so I tried to vent sex...hmmm, it was dusk, but I just got a bit of white fluid dribbled out.... and couldn't get a good look (may try again in better light....did I mention this is the first time I tried to vent sex an adult? oh, it's a Gray Mallard Runner.....
    thoughts?

2. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I wonder if he is the bottom of the pecking order so is just taking longer to fully mature? If you don't have eggs, you don't have a hermaphrodite.

3. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Not so sure, there are 4 other females and he/she looked and acted female until this winter...the others fully molted out , and this one seems almost to have added another molt and the voice is loud and quacky, not raspy like most drakes, and has a curled drake feather now.... I could separate and see if I get eggs/or try vent sexing again...Or could put he/she in the drake pen and watch to see if they know.... and if it's a drake it's feathering is not right, not like it should be, sort of half and half, but I could give it a few more weeks and see what the heck is happening....if it's delayed, it's a heck of a looooooong delay.....

4. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

You can swab the vent with food coloring to see if any of the eggs belong to "her" but with a curled drake feather, I'm thinking boy lol. The quacking definitely has me for a loop. I think you have a date with some cotton balls and a duck's butt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by