I *think* I have a Partridge Rock Roo...WDYT?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by erinchelsea, May 2, 2011.

1. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    I ordered a group of chicks from MM that are supposed to be brown egg layers. I think one of my two PR's is a boy, but it's been a looooong time since I've had chicks so I'm not sure. If I only have 1 Roo out of 26 I think that's pretty good & I won't be too disappointed! With 2 small children around though....if he turns nasty he WILL be headed to the frying pan. [​IMG]

They are 6 weeks old.

Also, "he" has been really slow to feather, is this a male trait? I've read conflicting things.
    [​IMG]

Here's the other PR to compare, no comb.
    [​IMG]

PS- It's HARD to get good chicken pictures, geesh! Hope these are good enough to get some opinions.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I would say that is a roo and it does look partridge, not sure on the rock though. OOPS, hit enter too quick. I meant to add, I have no experience with Partridge Rocks, I do have Partridge Cochins though and my roo feathered a lot differently color wise from the girls. Not sure if PR do the same. Legs are color of PR and color is Partridge.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  3. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Yep, you got a roo!

Here's a pic of my girls at 7 weeks for comparison.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    Pretty girls you have!

Ok, well, that's fine...I don't mind ONE rooster. [​IMG]

5. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Thanks! 1 out of 26 is not bad odds, I'm sure he will be a good protector and provider for your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by