I think I have a problem ahhhhhhh

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mstricer, Sep 28, 2011.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Okay have some silkies that go into to lockdown now.....due to my new addiction of auction going I got home a little late and my didn't set up the hatcher before I left, now I'm waiting for temp to reach 99 and yep, you probably guessed, I'm looking around my bator and in the turn kind of low on the egg one of them has a good pip. Now for the problem.... how should I move it? It is still in turner. I turned it off for now, I have bobwhites that I set at the same time, but if I'm right they still have 2 more days until lock down. How do I move the little silkie egg to the hatcher without killing it. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Darn those auctions. I don't know what I was thinking, I know batams hatch a little early sometimes [​IMG] Please someone help. This is my first Silkie hatch is there something different I need to do or just go ahead and move them? Can I put a damp paper towel on the one that is pipping?
    Michele
    PS It is a white one, I really wanted the white ones to hatch.

2. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm sad no one has answered out of the 10 views. My hatcher is at 97 right now and rising, I need help I don't want to harm the little babie [​IMG]

3. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    sorry I can't help -- never hatched any chicks
    [​IMG] hope all is well!

4. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    If you used a dry incubation... My recommendation is this... (assuming its an LG or Hovabator) Get REALLY, REALLY hot water and put in the bottom of the incubator as usual.. The heat creates steam that helps spike the humidity. Then, soak a paper towel in the same water and put it in the same trays... this creates a wick to the screen the eggs sit on.

Then, one more paper towel soaked in the same hot water. Lay this one flat on the screen to hatch on....

Put the eggs in... Initially, you will see a very large spike in humidity, but as the water evaporates and turns to steam, it will lower...

5. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    When I move it into the hatcher should I cover it with the wet paper towel? I should have paid better attention to this situation, but they are shipped eggs and I really didn't think on day 18 they would start to hatch.
    Michele
    thanks for answering

6. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    You could... make sure it is warm... a rag would probably hold temp longer than paper towel would... Just move quickly and carefully... [​IMG]

7. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Thank you I will try and please keep [​IMG] crossed for me. I never hatched silkies and I'm kinda worried are they different from other batams?

8. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Nah. I have better results from silkies than other bantams... Some people say they are more difficult.... I have my own silkies that I get my eggs from though...

But... [​IMG] for you...

9. lizrndiver

lizrndiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    South Beloit, IL
    I'm not sure what your incubator humidity is, but I have had this happen on occasion, a pip before lockdown. I just move it quickly once my hatcher is up to temp and humidity.

So far I have had good luck. I have found that unless there is zipping going on this works ok. If the chick has zipped, I am way more careful. Again, it depends on the humidity in your incubator.

I am in the middle of a staggered hatch. I had eggs hatch last Friday and eggs due this Friday. On Tuesday morning I found a chick running around the incubator when I woke up. Even though I mark my eggs, I

still am not sure if I miss marked it or what. But either way this chick was either 3 days late or 4 days early. It did just fine hatching in the incubator without the added humidity.

Go figure. Good Luck either way you go.

Liz

10. zzongwu

zzongwu New Egg

Sep 28, 2011
    things will be better~[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by