I think I have a problem

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by debilorrah, Jan 29, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ok, the first batch of 6 chicks we integrated into the existing flock just fine. I mean not one problem at all. Now we have four EE's that have been out and seperated but right next to the rest of the flock for 4 weeks - long enough! We finally closed the brooder door and now all these little wussies do is hide. We have had to feed them seperately so they don't starve!!!! These danged birds are HUGE - they are almost as big as the BO's we have!!! And the exisiting flock is pecking, but no more than letting them know who is boss. No injuries, no blood. What am I gonna do with these wussies!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    they will take there place in time, just keep a eye on them

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I think all what you can do is just wait, soon or later they will get used to it.

best luck

Omran

4. debilorrah

Their lack of eating unless we feed them in the hen house bothers me. I am moving it closer to the pop door everyday, but I really don't want them to starve because I think they need to get with the program! They are so stubborn.

5. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    may be you can lock all of them in an area where is no escape for them and get a lot of treats for everybody ( like tuna fish ) and then they might get the Idea!

omran

6. debilorrah

They are cooped 24/7 - big area too. They won't come out for treats. They hide behind the besting boxes. I have to pull them out to eat.

7. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I wish tat I know something else to tell you, but myself is still learning, may be ask the chicken worriers like (speckeldhen or misspressy) I am sure they have an answer.

Omran

8. debilorrah

I am hoping one of them shows soon.... I cannot believe what wussies these guys are!!!!

9. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

EEs are not wussies... [​IMG] they're very sweet and gentle birds generally. They can be very friendly and make great pets.
    I would let them make their own way into the flock, without pushing them. They'll do okay when they're ready. Is it a big inconvenience to keep two separate feed/water containers or are you just eager to have them meld together as one flock?
    A friend of mine acquired two EEs (coopmates) who still have not acclimated entirely to her other four hens. But they lay beautifully colored eggs, and are pretty to see. If you speak nicely to the birds and take your time with them, they may become more friendly and look for treats that you bring.
    Or, you can always give them away to someone who can accomodate them.
    But name calling will always hurt their feelings. [​IMG]

Carla

10. debilorrah

Quote:Oh, no! It is not a hassle, I just worry about them! I have two other EE's that I love, these 4 are just going along with the program very well, and I think they get really hungry and dehydrated. When I get home I go give them water and stand there while they drink, otherwise the other birds come and they won't go out from their hiding place until they are gone, usually leaving them no water! And I call them Wussies with love.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by