I think I have a roo

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BrittBergh, Mar 20, 2013.

1. BrittBergh

BrittBergh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Harvest, Al
    Unexpectedly now Im paranoid! I bought our four chicks from a well known farm locally. They hatch there and sex and have a great track record! They have a return policy as well, if we get an unexpected wrong sexing we can exchange for the one we wanted no problems at all, thats nice and all but now I think I love this bird the most out of the four lol! Its a barred rock, 2 weeks old. Ive been reading on this site about the sexing of them and now Im thinking I have a roo!

[​IMG]

not so much 'speckled' as in has barring

[​IMG]

the feet have little back to them

[​IMG]
    Large head spot

additional info is that s/he has always been the leader bird since we brought them home. Compared to the black sex link chick this one is more grey than black too. I know only time will tell but hey whats some fun guessing now?! [​IMG]

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Is the "spot" Yellow? they say boys have yellow spot. comb is not too big. If I ever chose a rock I always go for the one with the most wing and tail development even at 3 days old and the darkest head those are female. but if you want to try and vent sex lift the tail so the bung forms an O at the upper part of the bung if you see a little dolup that looks like a baby's lip going in and out it is a boy, if it looks like a slit it is a girl. sounds bad but it works.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  3. BrittBergh

BrittBergh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Harvest, Al
    It looks yellow-ish in some spots. I have no idea how to vent sex and Im not really feeling like I want to go around prying a ******** open [​IMG]
    I didn't really have the pick on this one.

4. Elke Beck

Elke Beck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Sunny So Cal
    I am leaning toward a girl because barred rock boys tend to have lighter coloring, and your chick's feathers are dark. Of course, there are always flukes that look like a hen, but actually are a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by