I think I have a sick duckling.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AllCoop'dUp, May 26, 2010.

1. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    [​IMG] Cayuga duckling about 4 weeks old doesn't seem to be able to walk around very well. Legs are shaky and it seems to be walking on it's own feet all the time. The other two are doing fine. This one is getting up and drinking and eating, just seems to be shivering. Even under the brooder lamp. This is the first time I've had ducks so I'm not sure what to look for. They have abundant supply of fresh water and food. A little rubbermade pond with the water changed every couple of days. Fresh greens daily. I've even managed to give them some small slugs to eat. I don't want to loose this baby. Just noticed this the last couple of days. They're sort of hard to tell apart. [​IMG] Their brooder is next to my chicks brooder. 100% positive that they haven't gotten hold of any medicated feed.

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Are they getting enough electrolytes, vitamin, and niacin in particular. This should be supplemented with their water for the first 10 weeks. The lack of them can cause problems, like you describe.
    Katharina

3. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    I had the symptoms you describe in one of mine around 3-4 weeks, and some crushed brewer's yeast tablets in the water or food do the trick. I just put a pinch of the powdered tablet into the night time water (they get a tupperware sort of container for their water, not a huge quantity.) Imprecise, I know. But, no more tremors.

With mine this was at the same time I started putting them outside during the day, and giving them greens and bugs. AND changing them to grower pellets instead of starter crumbles! So there was a lot going on and I was not sure which change made the difference.

I also had diarrhea in one of them, so I was not sure if they were fighting off some coccidia or what. But that's passed now too.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  4. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    It sounds like a vitamin/electrolyte deficiency. It can be common in ducks (as I've learned here), and many folks supplement vits (especially the Bs like niacin) on a schedule. I've learned a lot reading here. I'm not sure how to refurbish a duck down on their vits and electrolytes to the point they are showing symptoms, so I'll be reading along and sending the little ducky and you some good thoughts [​IMG]

5. AllCoop'dUp

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    I know where to get electrolytes but are the vitamins just people vitamins crushed up? How do I know I'm not over vitaminizing(sp?) them??

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I use this one from GQF. It contains vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics. I mix 1/2 teaspoon in 1/2 gallon of water, and store the rest in a mason jar. It goes a long way.
    Katharina

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  7. AllCoop'dUp

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Thanks...I'll call around and see if any of the local feed stores have it. How long do I give it to them? A couple of weeks or longer??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by