I think I have been messing up

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ccrecelius, Aug 3, 2008.

1. ccrecelius

ccrecelius Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    I have 10 - 11 week old chickens and one 11 week old Pekin Duck. I bought them all as day olds and lost three ducklings, which left me with one. I have had it in with my chickens. I had them in a temporary small building that I built until I could get the chicken coop built. I let them free range during the day.

Here is the problem. I have my coop built and moved the chickens and the duck into the new coop last night. My duck and I have just realized that it is not a chicken.

What kind of shelter should I have for this duck (I have just gotten 2 more day old ducklings, so this one will not be lonely)? What do I need to do differently for them? I am at a loss. I have learned so much about chickens in the past 11 weeks, but know nothing about the poor duck.

ANY, and I do mean any, advice will be much appreciated!

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    If you only have 3, just find a doghouse for them and something for them to swim in.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I have a shed connected to my chicken coop shed, it was to be home for my ducks - but they prefer sleeping with the chickens! [​IMG]

4. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    Do I need a door or anything like that to keep the bad guys out?

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:I, personally, would put a door on, but I have red fox coming out the wazu here.

6. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    Quote:Mine thinks it is a chicken! I know I cannot move it until the two that I bought are big enough to move outside.

But the duck, at least right now, cannot get into the coop by itself.

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I have 2 chicken doors on my coop - and two human doors, the ducks go in and out as they please, and are closed in at night with the chickens.

8. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    I believe I have enough scrap left over from the coop to build a nice house (what do you call a duck house anyway?) for the duck if it should like to move away from the chickens. I hope it will bond with the new ducks once they are big enough. It might even figure out it is not a chicken. [​IMG]

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG] That was written in such a hilarious way! Hee hee. [​IMG]

I don't have any advice to offer, but trust me, there are tons of duck-obsessed people here, too. I just wanted to thank you for giving me a big laugh this morning with your turn of phrase!

10. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    Quote:[​IMG] That was written in such a hilarious way! Hee hee. [​IMG]

I don't have any advice to offer, but trust me, there are tons of duck-obsessed people here, too. I just wanted to thank you for giving me a big laugh this morning with your turn of phrase!

You are welcome! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by