I think I have it figured out but what do you all think?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by warmfuzzies, Sep 15, 2011.

1. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Last night I lost all of our chickens. We had 8 of them. It was unlike any predator we have had before, so I am just a little confused. we just moved here but we only moved 10 miles so not a big change. Here is what happened:

I had the chickens out free ranging all afternoon. They went to bed like usual but it was drizzly so I left the walk-in pen door open. I have done this before with no problems. I also always leave the little chicken door to the pen open without problems. The chickens were attacked inside the coop sometime last night. There are lots of feathers in the coop and two feather piles on the other side of the property.

I think this was the work of a fox. The chickens are all gone, there aren't messy bodies left around. The chickens were attacked inside the coop and the animal had to get in and out of the little 12" by 8" chicken door. That rules out most dogs and coyotes. The animal left a wing (which my cat was chewing on) and one body which our dog had inside her fenced yard. I know she didn't get out, she never does. I am pretty sure it wasn't a dog because first, it would have to be a little one to get into the coop, and second they chickens are all gone and most dogs play with them but don't haul them ALL off like this.

I am only confused by a one thing. The dead chicken that the dog had. How did it get into her pen? I know she didn't get out, she spends most of her time hiding under the deck. [​IMG] Does this sound like a fox? I was wanting to order chicks this fall anyway, so I just want to take care of this before we get more. (Of course, shutting the little coop door every night is a given now.)

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Maybe that hen just flew into your dog pen in sheer panic? I'm just guessing. So sorry you lost your flock.....I've forgotten to lock my chicken run door a handful of times, and I've been lucky.....Well, you know how it goes.

[​IMG]

3. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Is it possible you have some hens hiding? It could also be a racoon. And I agree with pp that the hen probably flew into the dogs yard trying to escape, or racoon tried to bring it through the yard and dropped it there.

4. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    And [​IMG] so sorry for your loss!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by