I think I have super chicks!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spotstealer, Jul 21, 2011.

1. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    My six girls produce seven eggs today! I had four in the nesting box before I went to work today at 11, my wife called me at 7 when she gave them some fresh water and watermelon, and we had three more! I was surprised to hear that, especially since it was again over 90 today. I'll have to give them a smiley face for extra credit today!

2. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Lucky! I wish my 12 would give me 13 a day! lol So far, we average a sad 3. I think it's just too hot for the others. The three that lay are sexlinks and production red...they don't care. They lay regardless. lol

3. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Wait so did one hen lay 2 eggs? How is that possible? I heard it was impossible!? [​IMG]

4. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Quote:One indeed laid two. I was out tending the coop early this morning. I didn't have any at that time (6 am). Just before 11 tis morning, I had four. Then my wife found three more this evening. They all use the same next box. It may be because they are young and are not regular as of yet. They just started laying a little under two weeks ago.
    A couple other things, three are buff colored (white ears) but all my eggs are a nice rich brown (I thought white ears equal white eggs).
    Also, what is this "egg song" they sing when the lay? I've been trying to listen for it by the nesting boxe, but haven't heard it as of yet...

5. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Quote:One indeed laid two. I was out tending the coop early this morning. I didn't have any at that time (6 am). Just before 11 tis morning, I had four. Then my wife found three more this evening. They all use the same next box. It may be because they are young and are not regular as of yet. They just started laying a little under two weeks ago.
    A couple other things, three are buff colored (white ears) but all my eggs are a nice rich brown (I thought white ears equal white eggs).
    Also, what is this "egg song" they sing when the lay? I've been trying to listen for it by the nesting boxe, but haven't heard it as of yet...

Mine don't sing either. But my rooster does!!! He stands outside the coop and screams like a car alarm until they come back out. I think he thinks they are being tortured? lol Mine are actually all very quiet before they go inside.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have had that happen a few times over the years. One egg will get layed early in the morning and a second later that day. Maybe instead of producing a double yolk egg they produce two separate eggs???

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Most of mine are stealth layers, they just lay an egg then go about their business. But I have one that makes sure EVERYONE knows she just laid an egg. Sometimes she'll even punctuate it by picking up grass and dropping it to her side, as if making a nest. I always know when MayZell lays an egg![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  8. h8snags

h8snags Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Murray, UT

My BSL laid 2 a day for 2 days! She just started laying last Saturday! Then I got a soft shelled egg, dropped from the roost, and no more so far.. that was yesterday. I hope she is getting back on track, and not egg bound!
    The "song" is when you hear them go "bak bak bak bak BAGAWK" over and over! It's so funny! The one who is laying is usually quiet, but when she is in the box and another chicken comes in to see what she is doing, you sure can hear it! I have a few others who do it when they get nervous, or just because. They do it when they are in the run, they are my Orpingtons, and are not laying yet.. [​IMG] You'll know it when you hear it!!
    As for the color of the eggs, I have read that the colors of the chicken don't matter, it's the breed.
    Hope this helps! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by