1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I THINK i have this figured out(muscovy genders)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Of coarse i am sure you all are gonna tell me i'm wrong.. [​IMG] All pictures below are from this morning they are 7wks today. Sorry the pics are a touch sun glared and i was using my phone... the camera is MIA [​IMG]

First up we have 'spot' the farm supply called 'it' that because it had a black spot on the top of it right from arrival(they came as day olds)

I think it's a drake. Why? it's the biggest of them all, not only in overall size but leg and feet, head, chest etc, also weighs the most, plus has that 'guy' attitude [​IMG] it's not nasty or anything though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[Note; duck beside it is injured one aka; lucky ducky lol it is improving but size wise it's behind so it's not the best to compare to at all, it's leg's do look "big" like spot's but overall since it's crippled and sadly we think possibly blind in one eye, it's gender is irrelevant as it will be staying regardless)

Ok onto what i think good grief hope are my 'girls' [​IMG]

They are smaller framed, smaller legs, feet and head .. they are not as heavy as spot either, they feel to me to be more feminine but i could just be totally off my nut [​IMG].. nameless as of now till we know for sure what they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did try to get them all together but [​IMG] ugh.. not only did i have lucky splashing about(it can only go in the pool with supervision as it can't get out on it's own) but the big guy wouldn't come out of the pool and the other two kept playing ring around the pool [​IMG]

so thoughts on my guesses?

2. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Hoping someone can brainstorm with me [​IMG]

3. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    No idea, mine are only 2 weeks old and still fluffy bums [​IMG]

For getting in & out of the pool, I put some little flat rocks on both sides of their dog bowl (still so small!), although they can launch themselves out of the water, that seems to help them a lot.
    Man their claws are amazing!

4. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:aw, there so tiny at first. Mine have pretty much got it down now, well with the exception of injured one... i do have it butted up against the 'porch' of the doghouse to..

5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Going to try bumping this again. Dying to know if i'm correct lol

6. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I think you're right. It's a little hard to tell from the pictures but the girls will be significantly smaller and far more athletic than the boys. The drakes have super thick legs and larger bodies and the girls do have a more feminine, streamlined look to them. I can usually determine gender even before they feather out since the boys grow so much faster.

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:Thank you. there so hard to get pictures of!

I have to carry them over to the run as of the moment(there being night kept in a horse trailer [​IMG] ) till a proper duck house can be built anyways the well what i think are girls are significantly easier to hold because there not as large nor heavy.. the big guy who i feel has to be a drake is HUGE i can barely hold onto him.. he's really weighty as well.

I wish i could get a picture of them all in a row. i'll have to keep trying!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by