I think I have two roosters! Will it work out?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by darcylapp, Jun 28, 2010.

1. darcylapp

darcylapp In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Madison
    I am a new chicken owner who got chicks at two different times. The first set of chicks are currently almost three months old. One is a Bantam rooster named Zappa. He is super sweet and friendly. I got another set of chicks several weeks ago. These "ladies" are 6-weeks-old and are Polish Bantams. One of them, "Fiona," crowed this morning and also awoke with two pimple-like things by her eyes. I'm assuming she is a he after all. He/she is not nearly as friendly as Zappa...

Currently, Zappa is out in the coop with his hen-friend, Ani. The little Polish Bantams (there are three in total) are still in the house in a cage. We've been slowing introducing them in the chicken run. Zappa occasionally fluffs out and postures at the chicks and might chase them and peck at their backs.

We're hoping to put the babies in the coop soon, but I want it to be safe, so that is another concern of mine. How have people done that? I feel like I might need to sleep in the coop to ease my worried mind at this point. [​IMG]

How should I proceed? What's the best way to make this work out? Can two roosters co-exist peacefully?

I am a vegetarian, and I would never consider killing or any of the chicks. It would also break my heart to get rid of one.

2. rcentner

rcentner Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    With enough space and enough hens, 2 can live together without killing eachother. I think it depends on the temperments of the 2 roo's though. Here is a pic of 2 of my roo's living harmoniously. The BR roo is 1 year old and the wyandotte roo is 6 months old. Never even a slight tussle between them, my wyandotte just keeps his manners about him and all is well. However, I have another roo who was fine with the wyandotte, but hates the BR roo and I had to separate them. I will put them all together when I build a bigger run (much bigger).

[​IMG]

I also have 4 cockerals together and hope they will be ok together when they are older since I have had no luck re-homing them.

3. Animallover606

Animallover606 Songster

Apr 12, 2008
    rcentner you BR Rooster looks somewhat evil with his eyes and his barring is alot closer than any BR I have ever had. It almost looks like a Dominique from where I am sitting ( get it is a pun [​IMG] ) either way very pretty birds. I also agree with you on the space issues as long as they have plenty of space to get away from each other they should be fine.

4. darcylapp

darcylapp In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Madison
    Thanks for the advice. Very pretty birds, indeed! How old are your roosters when you start letting them alone for the night?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: