I think I heard a chicken sneeze

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gypsi, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

Yesterday I left a sprinkler going, on low, under the tree for my dogs, the chickens were in their well moistened coop. When I got home a whole army of starlings and grackles were having a party, and there was about an inch of standing water. I brought the dogs in and turned the chickens loose. Tonight I think I heard a chicken sneeze. I cleaned the pen, faster than the bleach & rinse sterilization job I did on their waterer, and when I refilled the water I added about 1/4 cup organic apple cider vinegar, solids and all to their 5 gal bucket. I gave them swiss chard for a treat. Actually I think I heard 3 sneezes from one hen who wouldn't let me catch her to look at her eyes and nose. During the hour I spent tidying up I heard no more sneezes. Should I worry?

Gypsi.

2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I would doubt that they could have caught cold in the summer. You probably wouldnt have seen it so soon if they did. Perhaps she just had something in her nostrils? Good on the ACV--keep an eye on them! T

3. AlaskGirl

AlaskGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    I hear sneezes from time to time and never worry, isn't sneezing normal?

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

If a cat sneezes and doesn't have its nose in something dusty, it's bad.

I've never kept chickens before, but I have kept cockatiels and parakeets, and sneezing with them was usually not good. Actually only one keet sneezed, the teacher finally gave him to me the 2nd or 3rd time he got sick and came to my house for nursing care. I had my kids mention spca - he got sick due to improper food, he was starving. I had him for 6 years afterward, he never got sick again.

Anyway, I have no idea with chickens, so I did what I could, listened while I cleaned, and no more sneezes. And I posted the question.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  5. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    A couple of mine sneeze a lot
    my EE is so cute when she sneeezes many times is a row.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    People sneeze, dogs sneeze, cats sneeze, everything living sneezes. Unless there is purulent ocular or nasal discharge, there is not a real problem.

7. ske1806

ske1806 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, New York
    Yes, my chicken's sneeze too and especially one little one does all the time. But it doesn't have discharge and sneezes are intermittent so I haven't worried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by