1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think I heard a chirp, but no pip?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cmgamble, Apr 15, 2007.

1. cmgamble

cmgamble Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Is that possible? My chicks should hatch today or tomorrow and I am so paranoid that they will not be able to hatch. I am almost positive I heard a chirp, but quite frankly as nervous as I am I am afraid its my imagination. Let me know. First timer here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  2. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hi, When they make it to the air cell they can then chirp. You will want to keep the top on your bator from here on out in order to keep temp and humididty up.
    Crossing my fingers for your babies on the way![​IMG]

3. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    This is an exciting time. Be ready. It's just around the corner. Be sure to keep us posted and takes lots of pics! I love that big window on your incubator. Mine has smaller windows and it can be tough at times to see whats going on. We got our fingers crossed! [​IMG]

4. cmgamble

Mar 31, 2007
    Thanks gang. I am sure now that it was a chirp. Any ideas on how long before I should see a pip?

5. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    Hello. well i would not be worried for i have had chicks peep and roll while still in their shell with no crack and yet a week before due date.[​IMG]

6. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    i heard the order is ussually peep then pip, good luck
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

LOL, I remember when I first heard it, too. I thought I was imagining it. They cheeped on and off for a few hours before the first pip, if I remember.

8. cmgamble

Mar 31, 2007
    still chirps but no pips yet!

9. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yikes!! I'll bet you are waiting on pins and needles!!!

Good Luck!!

10. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hows your humidity? I don't recognize anything that may read humidity in your bator. You may need to wet a clean sock or washcloth real well with warm water and put in the bator quickly (so as to not let temp fall). Humidity at about 70% is crucial to keeping the membranes moist so the chicks can get out easily.

Keep us updated on how things are coming.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by