I think I hypnotized my chickens with grapes (chickens=dumb)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by theDregs, Aug 31, 2009.

1. theDregs

theDregs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2009
    Marietta, GA
    I have been giving my chicks treats since day 3. They love quinoa, flaxseed, clover, oats, and they even had a merry game of keep away with a piece of Rice Chex.

Everyone here talks about how their chickens just LOVE grapes. So I cut a few in half and placed them in the brooder. It was instantaneous. You know how in the "Matrix" every moving thing stops and the camera just moves around? It was just like that. They completely froze, 2 with their mouths hanging open. It was like they were caught in acrylic.

I just sat there watching them for a few minutes. Not a hint of movement or a peep. I whistled softly. Nothing. I finally reached in and poked lil' Peckalotte. She winced away and re-froze. I left in bemusement.

I just checked on them, it being several hours since I fed them the devil-grapes. They are sitting in a wide circle around the plate, eyeing it as if it is radioactive and they can just feel the wayward isotopes shredding their DNA. Come to think of it, I haven't heard them all evening. They are usually merrily chirping away over an interesting piece of shredded pine or trying to pick crumbs off each others' heads.

You little guys better make me some nice eggs, because you'll never make it 2 days on your own.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Exactly what kind of grapes were those? [​IMG]

Imp

3. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    [​IMG] HAHAHA.................did they ever eat them?

4. Luna_Chick66

Luna_Chick66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    Everything treatwise (BESIDE MEALWORMS) fall flat with mine.

I gave a strawberry... they avoided it. Broccolli, same deal. I gave a piece of banana and they pooped on it.

Maybe I will try these grapes.

5. theDregs

theDregs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2009
    Marietta, GA
    Never ate them. Not so much as poop on the plate. I'll take them out in the morning. I am enjoying the quiet.

6. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    The first time I fed grapes, I had to cut them into bite sized pieces that they could swallow. They're more apt to test the waters that way. I then picked up one chick and rubbed the juicy part of the grape along the beak opening and they couldn't avoid getting a taste. After that, it was a feeding frenzy every time.

Dan

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  7. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    This I must try when mine get hatched for a bit...

8. allison finch

allison finch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My birds are spoiled. I quarter their grapes and they are like sharks in a feeding frenzy. Sometimes I mix yogurt in with the grapes.

If you want a serious treat, get a big bag of shredded mixed cheese. I need say no more. Just be ready to run.

9. Luna_Chick66

Luna_Chick66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    Quote:aaaaHAAAA!

I am such a stupid human!

10. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by