I think I just baked a cake with fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by maizey, Nov 13, 2010.

1. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks are only 8 weeks old HOWEVER, my mom has a friend who has been giving her farm eggs and I have been inheriting the extras. She brought me a whole dozen today. Into the pound cake they go, after a nice breakfast of fried egg and toast of course. As I am cracking them, I see this little white spot in every yolk, but hey, farm eggs look different than grocery store eggs so no worries. Then I remember reading on here that the little white spot is a sign that its a fertile egg..am I right? Could I be HATCHING those eggs instead of making pound cake with them? And even if I don't-they are cool to eat right? I mean it seems a little wrong but probably most of you with roosters are eating fertile eggs, so its probably ok? I wonder could I really and truely incubate them? (assuming i have an incubator-which I don't but I can always get one!) I am oddly excited by the prospect [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

All eggs will have a little dot on them, a fertilized one will have a larger dot. Store eggs do have dots too, but they are paler over all so the contrast to see the dot is less.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    white spot = blastodisc = simply edible
    white target = blastoderm = hatchable/edible

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Your eggs are fine to eat, either way. It does not matter in the least unless you are bound and determined to hatch them. LOL I believe most eggs have that "white spot" but that doesn't make them fertile. They have to have a bullseye in them to be fertile. I am sure if you looked it up in the "search" tab you will find a pic of a fertile egg. I don't have one readily available or I would show it to you. You can see the difference. Just look it up and happy hatching!

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
  6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    There is a difference between being fertile and developing. The latter doesn't happen until a hen applies constant body heat for a few days. If they started developing when they were fertilized the first ones in a clutch would hatch a week or two before the last and then how would the hen care for her chicks/eggs. Nature is a marvelous thing in this regard. Therefore if fertile eggs are gathered regularly and stored without heat, they just have an extra cell--that "bullseye".

7. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, ok, thanks for the pic.. I think my eggs only had the dot, not the bullseye. I will check again in the morning at breakfast and look closer....darn, Im a little disappointed..thought i hit a free chicken jackpot. Glad i can eat them either way... they are so good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by