I think I just fell in love....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sequoiacyclist, Jun 11, 2010.

1. sequoiacyclist

sequoiacyclist Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Visalia, CA
    with silkies! These little guys just arrived today and I thought I would share them with everyone. They are so tiny compared to my other babies. How could you not fall in love with that face? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Hey, very nice chicks but if you want to keep them alive....I'd get rid of those cedar shavings. Cedar lets of a toxic fume that can kill chicks.

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    OH my, I would put them on something different then cedar shavings. I think I read on here cedar is bad for them they will eat it.

But yes I love them too. My silkie went broddy again I can't wait to see those little faces. Your's are beautiful. [​IMG]

4. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    very cute - and yes, loose the cedar ASAP!

5. sequoiacyclist

sequoiacyclist Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Visalia, CA
    Thanks for the memo. Cedar is all that I have on hand at the moment. I have used it with my 3-4 week old's without any problems, but I think I would rather be safe than sorry with these guys. I just replaced it with some timothy hay for now until I can run into town tomorrow. They sure are louder than my other little ones. Chatty!

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I know what you mean about them being loud but I think they think because they are so small they need to act big and make a lot of noise. LOL

7. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    I used cedar on all my batches last year with good results, I think it depends on the ventilation and if it gets wet.

I'm sure your new babies are ok, you are a good chicken mom for replacing it.

8. Mrs. Green Thumbs

Mrs. Green Thumbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Paper towels will work in a pinch too! And I have to ad... that is an impressive camera! Beautiful crisp shots. Looks like I could almost reach out and touch their downy fuzz! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by