I think I just got my first Buff Orpington egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tiny529, Jan 30, 2012.

1. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Though I'm not 100% sure. She's been showing the signs of being ready for about a week now. This morning there was one lone egg in the coop, far from where my other girls normally lay. It's slightly lighter in color than my Dominique's eggs and it looks like it's got some dried blood smeared on it (it's a little dirty but it doesn't look like poop or dirt). Do they sometimes get a tear when they lay their first eggs?

I'll be curious to see if there's another brown egg in the coop today. Then I'll know that this is my BO's egg. I'm still waiting on my Speckled Sussex, but she's not really showing any signs of being ready to lay yet. [​IMG]

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Sound's like it! Especially if it isn't where the big girls usually lay. How old is your buff orpington? Do you have a picture?

3. tiny529

Mar 28, 2011
    My girls are all 7 months old. I actually don't have any recent pics of my girls. I'd take some now but my 6 year old dropped my camera last week and broke it. [​IMG]

4. tiny529

Mar 28, 2011
    Just got confirmation! Though I promptly knocked my Dom's egg on the table while putting it in the egg carton and had to eat it. Bummer. I wanted borrow my husband's phone tonight to get a picture of all 4 of today's eggs. Guess I'll swap in an egg from last week. They are all so pretty! If only my Sussex would start laying...

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by