I Think I Just Got RIPPED OFF!

mtnhomechick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Mountain Home, AR
I raised two pigs and they went to the butcher today. I couldn't finish raising them due to an ice storm we had here in January. So a friend of mine finished them off for me and I met him at the butcher today.....the deal was I get one at butcher time.

So, the butcher says my pig weighs about 250-275 lb. After he skins it and weighs it he tells me the hanging weight is 127 lb.

If anyone knows anything about pigs......does this sound right?

I had NO way of actually seeing a scale however I did see the two halves hanging and it looked like a lot more than that to me.

Any thoughts on this??

Whoa, that would have to be one fat pig to loose over 100lbs in organs, fat and bones.

Last edited:
It actually sounds about right to me. A "whole hog" order from a local pastured/forested pork grower yields "up to 130 pounds" of meat, though you have to pay for much more than that, because you're paying for live weight.

That does not sound right at all. Fior starters the butcher should have been able to tell you exact weight not 250 - 275 and hang weight is not going to be 125 lbs less. He is ripping you off. You may lose 60 lbs if the pig was like obese but not 125 lbs.

We butchered hogs my whole life for other people and charged them per lb so weighing was very important but I have never seen one loss that much weight from live weight to hang weight and even wrapped weight.

That is just wrong.

Last edited:
Katy 70% is about right maybe a couple percent more. So at a minimum a 250 lb should dress out about 175 lbs.

We just had a hog butchered last fall and it weighed abt. 320 lbs. The meat return was abt. 220 lbs. It wasnt a fat hog either, she was very lean. My SIL took one the same time and hers weighed about 220 and she got back about 120 lbs of meat. It sounds close, but I would ask again if i thought i was getting gyped.

Back
Top Bottom